From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2016 01:27:07
1 On 10/06/2016 06:06 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > NP already gave a good response but I wanted to elaborate on the
3 > conflict of interest topic.
4 >
5 > On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 8:32 PM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
6 >> Additionally, we should think about conflicts of interest. Should we let
7 >> people act on both the Council and in Comrel?
8 >
9 > This has been a topic of several long discussions. Personally I see
10 > no conflict of interest, and it is common in the real world for judges
11 > to serve on panels that decide cases, and also serve on larger panels
12 > that handle appeals of the same cases. A conflict of interest is when
13 > somebody stands to benefit personally from the outcome of a decision,
14 > apart from the organization they represent. So, if somebody were
15 > deciding whether to engage the services of a company they own on the
16 > side, that would be a conflict of interest, because even if the
17 > company screws up and harms Gentoo, they still benefit personally.
18 >
19 > That is my opinion on the matter. It seems like a majority of people
20 > who have commented on this in the past disagree with me, and there are
21 > a few places in the official docs that suggest that Comrel members
22 > should not participate in Council appeals of decisions. To date
23 > Comrel members have recused themselves from Council appeals. So,
24 > while I think most of the community is wrong on this, and Gentoo's
25 > standards are inconsistent with how most organizations and governments
26 > are run, ultimately I don't make the rules (we Council members try to
27 > follow the rules, and certainly I'd expect to be called on it if I
28 > didn't). Most in the community seem to prefer having the appeal be
29 > handled independently from the original decision, feeling that a
30 > second set of eyes could reach a different decision. Certainly some
31 > courts work this way as well, though I don't think any would call this
32 > a result of a "conflict of interest."
33 >
34 >> I recall certain
35 >> situations call for council members to abstain from certain votes. Is
36 >> that true of matters involving Comrel as well? QA? There are multiple
37 >> "pits" of power, and I think we as a project should do what we can to
38 >> ensure that powers between groups don't become imbalanced as one or a
39 >> small group consolidate power among themselves and use it as a weapon.
40 >
41 > To date Comrel members have been recusing themselves from Council
42 > appeals. I personally disagree that this is necessary, but all the
43 > same the result is that all Council appeals to date have been
44 > independent decisions.
45 >
46 > In any case, anybody who is in both Comrel and Council is only on the
47 > Council because they were elected as such. So, they already have the
48 > trust of most of the community. I don't personally get why you'd
49 > trust them with the bigger decisions and not with the smaller ones as
50 > well, but...
51 For me, it's about separation of exposure. A Comrel member who has it
52 out for someone (or alternatively, has been failing to find a solution
53 to a problem for months) is not going to have a (relatively) unbiased
54 opinion or clear judgment on a given case. Comrel is sorta like the
55 defense or prosecution, while the Council is the judge. The prosecution
56 and judge should not ever be in cahoots with each other, or the
57 integrity of the process falters.
58
59 I would personally find it hard to take a decision at face value if I
60 learned that one or more members held "office" in other pivotal
61 positions. Seeing someone recuse from voting is a great start, and a
62 sign that there is some integrity. Perhaps excusing themselves from
63 Council decisions altogether (for that case, including sharing
64 information) may be a better step, at least until we get more people
65 interested in these positions.
66
67 Otherwise, we have a difference in opinion but I think we both value
68 integrity and impartial actors judging a case from the outside.
69 >
70 > The other challenge with having completely separate
71 > Council/Trustee/Comrel/QA (and I'd throw Infra in as one of those
72 > other special projects) is that ultimately there are only so many
73 > people that have that level of trust/maturity/leadership/etc in the
74 > community. I think it is healthy to try to minimize overlap just from
75 > the standpoint of getting more hands involved and not letting one
76 > person become a bottleneck. Nevertheless, I'd rather have somebody
77 > wearing two hats if they're competent, than putting somebody who isn't
78 > competent in power simply because we've run out of warm bodies willing
79 > to do the job. At one point in time we actually had trouble filling
80 > all the Trustee slots, and several of the past Trustee elections have
81 > been vacant. I know that in private there have been discussions and
82 > the occasional conscious decision for people in these sorts of roles
83 > to not run for re-election just to try to encourage new blood to stop
84 > up, or to get out of the way of those who would benefit from
85 > experience. When Council members can't make meetings we try to find
86 > proxies and that is also another avenue to expose people to the role.
87 >
88 > Bringing up new leaders is always a challenge because the stuff the
89 > leadership tends to deal with is often qualitatively different from
90 > the stuff ordinary devs do. You can't just look at the quality of
91 > somebody's commits and decide that they'd make a good member of
92 > Comrel. Perhaps we need to find more minor roles that devs hold as a
93 > stepping stone, and to also help spread the work.
94 >
95 I like the idea for minor roles. Start with forum mod work or something
96 like that, to see how a candidate acts when given a little bit of power.
97 How they handle that role will reveal how they act under pressure and
98 when their hand is forced by unruly behavior. Given that the power is
99 trivially granted or taken away, and the decisions they make can also be
100 reversed in fast order, I think it would be a wonderful step to motivate
101 developers to become more involved with the community.
102 --
103 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
104 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
105 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6