From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2016 01:06:33
1 NP already gave a good response but I wanted to elaborate on the
2 conflict of interest topic.
3
4 On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 8:32 PM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
5 > Additionally, we should think about conflicts of interest. Should we let
6 > people act on both the Council and in Comrel?
7
8 This has been a topic of several long discussions. Personally I see
9 no conflict of interest, and it is common in the real world for judges
10 to serve on panels that decide cases, and also serve on larger panels
11 that handle appeals of the same cases. A conflict of interest is when
12 somebody stands to benefit personally from the outcome of a decision,
13 apart from the organization they represent. So, if somebody were
14 deciding whether to engage the services of a company they own on the
15 side, that would be a conflict of interest, because even if the
16 company screws up and harms Gentoo, they still benefit personally.
17
18 That is my opinion on the matter. It seems like a majority of people
19 who have commented on this in the past disagree with me, and there are
20 a few places in the official docs that suggest that Comrel members
21 should not participate in Council appeals of decisions. To date
22 Comrel members have recused themselves from Council appeals. So,
23 while I think most of the community is wrong on this, and Gentoo's
24 standards are inconsistent with how most organizations and governments
25 are run, ultimately I don't make the rules (we Council members try to
26 follow the rules, and certainly I'd expect to be called on it if I
27 didn't). Most in the community seem to prefer having the appeal be
28 handled independently from the original decision, feeling that a
29 second set of eyes could reach a different decision. Certainly some
30 courts work this way as well, though I don't think any would call this
31 a result of a "conflict of interest."
32
33 > I recall certain
34 > situations call for council members to abstain from certain votes. Is
35 > that true of matters involving Comrel as well? QA? There are multiple
36 > "pits" of power, and I think we as a project should do what we can to
37 > ensure that powers between groups don't become imbalanced as one or a
38 > small group consolidate power among themselves and use it as a weapon.
39
40 To date Comrel members have been recusing themselves from Council
41 appeals. I personally disagree that this is necessary, but all the
42 same the result is that all Council appeals to date have been
43 independent decisions.
44
45 In any case, anybody who is in both Comrel and Council is only on the
46 Council because they were elected as such. So, they already have the
47 trust of most of the community. I don't personally get why you'd
48 trust them with the bigger decisions and not with the smaller ones as
49 well, but...
50
51 The other challenge with having completely separate
52 Council/Trustee/Comrel/QA (and I'd throw Infra in as one of those
53 other special projects) is that ultimately there are only so many
54 people that have that level of trust/maturity/leadership/etc in the
55 community. I think it is healthy to try to minimize overlap just from
56 the standpoint of getting more hands involved and not letting one
57 person become a bottleneck. Nevertheless, I'd rather have somebody
58 wearing two hats if they're competent, than putting somebody who isn't
59 competent in power simply because we've run out of warm bodies willing
60 to do the job. At one point in time we actually had trouble filling
61 all the Trustee slots, and several of the past Trustee elections have
62 been vacant. I know that in private there have been discussions and
63 the occasional conscious decision for people in these sorts of roles
64 to not run for re-election just to try to encourage new blood to stop
65 up, or to get out of the way of those who would benefit from
66 experience. When Council members can't make meetings we try to find
67 proxies and that is also another avenue to expose people to the role.
68
69 Bringing up new leaders is always a challenge because the stuff the
70 leadership tends to deal with is often qualitatively different from
71 the stuff ordinary devs do. You can't just look at the quality of
72 somebody's commits and decide that they'd make a good member of
73 Comrel. Perhaps we need to find more minor roles that devs hold as a
74 stepping stone, and to also help spread the work.
77 Rich