From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2016 00:33:01
1 On 10/06/2016 03:02 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 5:45 PM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
3 >> (Targeting one specific comment here)
4 >>
5 >> On 10/03/2016 11:04 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
6 >>> [snip]
7 >>> Ultimately if you want to rejoin Gentoo you're going to have to
8 >>> convince either Comrel or the Council that you're not going to create
9 >>> trouble.
10 >>> [snip]
11 >>
12 >> Are you speaking for William's specific situation, or in general?
13 >
14 > I am speaking for the general situation where a developer wants to
15 > return to Gentoo after having been removed as a result of Comrel
16 > action (or with pending Comrel action from the sound of things here,
17 > again I don't have the details personally but am going from what has
18 > been publicly posted here).
21 >> Additionally, it appears that rejoining devs are merely treated like new
22 >> devs. Or at least, *should* be[3]:
25 > They are, when there weren't Comrel concerns from the last time they were devs.
28 >> Given the above, I have to question the validity of Comrel's involvement
29 >> and ask why things that (allegedly?) happened eight years ago are still
30 >> relevant.
31 >
32 > Since I don't know the details of what happened eight years ago I
33 > couldn't comment. Neither could anybody on Comrel who does know what
34 > happened eight years ago since they're bound by the privacy rules.
35 > Presumably Comrel would decide if those things are relevant, and if a
36 > candidate developer disagreed with them they could appeal to the
37 > Council. From what I've seen in the public comments and discussion
38 > the concerns at this point have nothing to do with what happened eight
39 > years ago, but the recent reactions to bringing them up.
40
41 On one hand I understand the privacy angle, but if information is kept
42 secret by Comrel in the interest of "privacy", how would we find out
43 about any decisions made in poor judgment, an over-reach in power, or
44 merely misunderstandings?
45
46 One such suggestion might be to join the project. However, I imagine
47 Comrel would want to keep information as close as possible and only
48 share it when absolutely necessary. For privacy this makes sense; for
49 transparency and accountability, it enables corrupt behavior.
50
51 I have not personally spoken with anyone in Comrel, so I cannot speak
52 about their methods, but without some degree of transparency my only
53 view as a developer is to hope I don't end up on the business end of it.
54 >
55 >> As a case study, who else has had to appeal Comrel or the
56 >> Council to rejoin Gentoo?
57 >
58 > I doubt that anybody could give you the "who" if there was anybody,
59 > again due to privacy. They could speak to how many, and I can say
60 > that I've seen all of two Comrel-related appeals in the entire time
61 > I've been on Council (which is a few years now), and none from
62 > prospective devs. So, I imagine this is pretty rare. There aren't
63 > many devs who have been kicked out in general, and I imagine only a
64 > small fraction attempt to return. Very few even appeal being kicked
65 > out in the first place.
68 >> I think organizationally that each project deserves equal scrutiny into
69 >> its workings and whether or not they are improving Gentoo as a whole.
70 >> That includes Comrel and arguably *any* project within Gentoo, imo.
73 > Hence the reason I opened the discussion threads on aspects of how
74 > Comrel operates...
75
76 Thanks for doing that. Judging from the multitude of e-mails and
78 hope we're able to move forward to resolutions.
81 >> As usual, this is just my two cents, offered only because I hope I would
82 >> not be treated this way if I were to come back to Gentoo after leaving.
83 >> (That said, I have no current plans of leaving Gentoo. It's just
84 >> something to think about.) Thanks for reading.
87 > Devs who leave without pending Comrel complaints are not subject to
88 > any unusual process when they return, as far as I'm aware. Devs who
89 > had complaints just need to work with Comrel, and the fact that they
90 > had a past issue is not generally disclosed unless they choose to
91 > start a mailing list thread on the topic...
94 As a side note, why do we have Comrel if we're all expected to act like
95 adults? Adults solve problems by communicating, and having an opaque
96 group mediate conflicts doesn't strike me as ideal. If two people have
97 trouble and cannot solve it, they go their separate ways or learn to
98 work past their differences.
99
100 Leadership requires accountability. Trustees and the Council have some
101 degree of accountability, and can be removed from their positions as the
102 developer community pleases. With a group as influential as Comrel, I
103 would expect some level of accountability and responsibility. If we're
104 going to trust a group with what's essentially HR, their decisions
105 should be backed by an accountable person or group, such as the Council
106 (or a similar group within Comrel that answers to the community).
107
108 In that vein, I believe that if Comrel is responsible for a particularly
109 unpopular or otherwise disruptive change, they should be held
110 accountable for it, including finding "replacements" or filling the
111 holes left by the developer(s) they may take action against.
112
113 Additionally, we should think about conflicts of interest. Should we let
114 people act on both the Council and in Comrel? I recall certain
115 situations call for council members to abstain from certain votes. Is
116 that true of matters involving Comrel as well? QA? There are multiple
117 "pits" of power, and I think we as a project should do what we can to
118 ensure that powers between groups don't become imbalanced as one or a
119 small group consolidate power among themselves and use it as a weapon.
120
121 I digress, though. Thanks for clarifying your perspective. I have a
122 better idea of what you're talking about now.
123 --
124 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
125 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
126 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6