From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2016 22:02:29
1 On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 5:45 PM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
2 > (Targeting one specific comment here)
3 >
4 > On 10/03/2016 11:04 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 >> [snip]
6 >> Ultimately if you want to rejoin Gentoo you're going to have to
7 >> convince either Comrel or the Council that you're not going to create
8 >> trouble.
9 >> [snip]
10 >
11 > Are you speaking for William's specific situation, or in general?
12
13 I am speaking for the general situation where a developer wants to
14 return to Gentoo after having been removed as a result of Comrel
15 action (or with pending Comrel action from the sound of things here,
16 again I don't have the details personally but am going from what has
17 been publicly posted here).
20 > Additionally, it appears that rejoining devs are merely treated like new
21 > devs. Or at least, *should* be[3]:
24 They are, when there weren't Comrel concerns from the last time they were devs.
27 > Given the above, I have to question the validity of Comrel's involvement
28 > and ask why things that (allegedly?) happened eight years ago are still
29 > relevant.
30
31 Since I don't know the details of what happened eight years ago I
32 couldn't comment. Neither could anybody on Comrel who does know what
33 happened eight years ago since they're bound by the privacy rules.
34 Presumably Comrel would decide if those things are relevant, and if a
35 candidate developer disagreed with them they could appeal to the
36 Council. From what I've seen in the public comments and discussion
37 the concerns at this point have nothing to do with what happened eight
38 years ago, but the recent reactions to bringing them up.
39
40 > As a case study, who else has had to appeal Comrel or the
41 > Council to rejoin Gentoo?
42
43 I doubt that anybody could give you the "who" if there was anybody,
44 again due to privacy. They could speak to how many, and I can say
45 that I've seen all of two Comrel-related appeals in the entire time
46 I've been on Council (which is a few years now), and none from
47 prospective devs. So, I imagine this is pretty rare. There aren't
48 many devs who have been kicked out in general, and I imagine only a
49 small fraction attempt to return. Very few even appeal being kicked
50 out in the first place.
53 > I think organizationally that each project deserves equal scrutiny into
54 > its workings and whether or not they are improving Gentoo as a whole.
55 > That includes Comrel and arguably *any* project within Gentoo, imo.
58 Hence the reason I opened the discussion threads on aspects of how
59 Comrel operates...
62 > As usual, this is just my two cents, offered only because I hope I would
63 > not be treated this way if I were to come back to Gentoo after leaving.
64 > (That said, I have no current plans of leaving Gentoo. It's just
65 > something to think about.) Thanks for reading.
68 Devs who leave without pending Comrel complaints are not subject to
69 any unusual process when they return, as far as I'm aware. Devs who
70 had complaints just need to work with Comrel, and the fact that they
71 had a past issue is not generally disclosed unless they choose to
72 start a mailing list thread on the topic...
75 Rich