From: Nick Vinson <nvinson234@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2016 03:54:32
1 On 10/06/2016 05:32 PM, Daniel Campbell wrote:
2 > On 10/06/2016 03:02 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 5:45 PM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> (Targeting one specific comment here)
5 >>>
6 >>> On 10/03/2016 11:04 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
7 >>>> [snip]
8 >>>> Ultimately if you want to rejoin Gentoo you're going to have to
9 >>>> convince either Comrel or the Council that you're not going to create
10 >>>> trouble.
11 >>>> [snip]
12 >>>
13 >>> Are you speaking for William's specific situation, or in general?
14 >>
15 >> I am speaking for the general situation where a developer wants to
16 >> return to Gentoo after having been removed as a result of Comrel
17 >> action (or with pending Comrel action from the sound of things here,
18 >> again I don't have the details personally but am going from what has
19 >> been publicly posted here).
20 >>
21 >>>
22 >>> Additionally, it appears that rejoining devs are merely treated like new
23 >>> devs. Or at least, *should* be[3]:
24 >>>
25 >>
26 >> They are, when there weren't Comrel concerns from the last time they were devs.
27 >>
28 >>>
29 >>> Given the above, I have to question the validity of Comrel's involvement
30 >>> and ask why things that (allegedly?) happened eight years ago are still
31 >>> relevant.
32 >>
33 >> Since I don't know the details of what happened eight years ago I
34 >> couldn't comment. Neither could anybody on Comrel who does know what
35 >> happened eight years ago since they're bound by the privacy rules.
36 >> Presumably Comrel would decide if those things are relevant, and if a
37 >> candidate developer disagreed with them they could appeal to the
38 >> Council. From what I've seen in the public comments and discussion
39 >> the concerns at this point have nothing to do with what happened eight
40 >> years ago, but the recent reactions to bringing them up.
41 >
42 > On one hand I understand the privacy angle, but if information is kept
43 > secret by Comrel in the interest of "privacy", how would we find out
44 > about any decisions made in poor judgment, an over-reach in power, or
45 > merely misunderstandings?
46 >
47 > One such suggestion might be to join the project. However, I imagine
48 > Comrel would want to keep information as close as possible and only
49 > share it when absolutely necessary. For privacy this makes sense; for
50 > transparency and accountability, it enables corrupt behavior.
51 >
52 > I have not personally spoken with anyone in Comrel, so I cannot speak
53 > about their methods, but without some degree of transparency my only
54 > view as a developer is to hope I don't end up on the business end of it.
55
56 While it won't help with the accountability issue, I think Comrel
57 members should be voted on by the greater Gentoo community instead of
58 using the usual project membership and election rules. As long as
59 Comrel has the authority it does, it makes sense to me for them to be
60 accountable to both the Council and the community at large.
61
62 As for accountability, I think the statistics suggestion made earlier in
63 this conversation is a great idea. Unfortunately, anything beyond that
64 will require a relaxing some of Comrel's rules with regards to privacy.
65 I'm not against such an idea, but I can see it as being a more difficult
66 thing to get consensus on.
67
68 Thanks,
69 Nicholas Vinson