From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for Agenda Items -- Council Meeting 2015-10-11
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 18:57:25
1 On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 14:15:15 +0200 hasufell wrote:
2 > On 10/09/2015 01:56 PM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
3 > > Well let's think about this. If github went away, or we needed to part
4 > > ways with github, what we would we want to keep from their site?
5 >
6 > It is more likely that our infra servers go down or break than github.
7 > From a reliability standpoint, our infra servers clearly lose.
8
9 This is not a question of infrastructure high availability, this is
10 a question of the data long-term availability. GitHub is outside of
11 our control. If it perishes, we are in trouble, big trouble if we
12 stored important data and had important workflow via GitHub only.
13
14 And unfortunately the words above are not sheer speculation.
15
16 1) GitHub _was already blocked_ in several countries [1]. We are an
17 international community, thus we can't rely on such resource.
18
19 2) Since GitHub is not completely open, it has a rist of following
20 SourceForge fate. Before GitHub appeared SourceForge was probably
21 the most popular development platform, at least 8-10 years ago.
22 They were good guys. Later their owner changed, their policy
23 changed, with known consequences: now SourceForge is known for its
24 project hijacking [2] and adware. The worst result is that
25 SourceForge is damaged good Free Software projects, e.g. GIMP [3]
26 and now blocked by most anti-ads software [4,5].
27
28 And now GitHub are good guys. But for how long?
29 I want to ensure long-time project stability of Gentoo, that's why
30 I can't accept the violation of the Gentoo Social contract, which
31 was made to protect the project from dangers alike this one. That's
32 why we must have our own infrastructure.
33
34 Please note, nobody says: you can use GitHub only overy my dead
35 body. As can be seen from this discussion, there is a solution: all
36 GitHub data must be mirrored on our infrastructure in a usable and
37 searchable way, so that:
38 1) we will ensure long-time availability of all development data;
39 2) no single developer will be force to use GitHub to "politely
40 review pull requests" or whatever.
41
42 [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_of_GitHub
43 [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SourceForge#Controversies