From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Proposal for add-on file utility (run after emerge update)
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 16:50:21
1 On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 4:33 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 07:05:55AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote
3 >> Alas, I couldn't attend the council meeting in-person, but it seems
4 >> like council missed the point of my request RE commits against
5 >> maintainer wishes (or maybe not - if so I'll happily shut up as far as
6 >> persuading the council goes). That said, I expressed it as a general
7 >> request in the hope to not have something systemd-specific, and it
8 >> sounds like that is not desired.
9 >
10 > I think the best way to avoid maintainer conflicts is to take this out
11 > of the hands of maintainers, and put it in the hands of users. At one
12 > time there was a package of all possible systemd units that could be
13 > installed as one ebuild. Apparently, some "inode fundamentalists"
14 > objected to having a bunch of unnecessary files dumped on their hard
15 > drives (imagine that), so that package was removed. I suggest a more
16 > targetted approach...
17 > * a script (or compiled program)
18 > * that reads the output of "eix-installed -a"
19 > * compares against a config file in /etc
20 > * adds or deletes files based on the contents of the config file
21 >
22 > I was originally thinking of systemd units, but this could be applied
23 > to initscripts or man files or info files or html docs or whatever. In
24 > addition to pulling in standard stuff, it could pull in custom units or
25 > docs from "personal overlay" sources. It would usually be run once,
26 > right after an update.
27 >
28 > IANACP (I Am Not A C Programmer), so I would probably do this in bash
29 > if I did it strictly for personal use. But I'm beginning to wonder if
30 > it might be a useful approach resolve some conflicts between various
31 > groups of users/developers. I.e. end-users could easily customize their
32 > systems' *REGARDLESS OF HOW DEVELOPERS SET UP EBUILDS*. This might
33 > require a "systemd units herd" to supply a tarball with systemd units
34 > that would be selectively installed. And possibly a "documentation
35 > herd", etc.
36
37 Really, it's that hard to use INSTALL_MASK?
38
39 Regards.
40 --
41 Canek Peláez Valdés