From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Proposal for add-on file utility (run after emerge update)
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 09:33:27
1 On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 07:05:55AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote
2 > Alas, I couldn't attend the council meeting in-person, but it seems
3 > like council missed the point of my request RE commits against
4 > maintainer wishes (or maybe not - if so I'll happily shut up as far as
5 > persuading the council goes). That said, I expressed it as a general
6 > request in the hope to not have something systemd-specific, and it
7 > sounds like that is not desired.
8
9 I think the best way to avoid maintainer conflicts is to take this out
10 of the hands of maintainers, and put it in the hands of users. At one
11 time there was a package of all possible systemd units that could be
12 installed as one ebuild. Apparently, some "inode fundamentalists"
13 objected to having a bunch of unnecessary files dumped on their hard
14 drives (imagine that), so that package was removed. I suggest a more
15 targetted approach...
16 * a script (or compiled program)
17 * that reads the output of "eix-installed -a"
18 * compares against a config file in /etc
19 * adds or deletes files based on the contents of the config file
20
21 I was originally thinking of systemd units, but this could be applied
22 to initscripts or man files or info files or html docs or whatever. In
23 addition to pulling in standard stuff, it could pull in custom units or
24 docs from "personal overlay" sources. It would usually be run once,
25 right after an update.
26
27 IANACP (I Am Not A C Programmer), so I would probably do this in bash
28 if I did it strictly for personal use. But I'm beginning to wonder if
29 it might be a useful approach resolve some conflicts between various
30 groups of users/developers. I.e. end-users could easily customize their
31 systems' *REGARDLESS OF HOW DEVELOPERS SET UP EBUILDS*. This might
32 require a "systemd units herd" to supply a tarball with systemd units
33 that would be selectively installed. And possibly a "documentation
34 herd", etc.
37 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>