From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Council: Policy for Systemd units
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 11:05:59
1 Alas, I couldn't attend the council meeting in-person, but it seems
2 like council missed the point of my request RE commits against
3 maintainer wishes (or maybe not - if so I'll happily shut up as far as
4 persuading the council goes). That said, I expressed it as a general
5 request in the hope to not have something systemd-specific, and it
6 sounds like that is not desired.
7
8 Picking just a single quote that I think gives the sense of the discussion:
9
10 <11.06.2013 19:10> <@Betelgeuse> Still I don't think policies
11 necessary need adjusting
12 <11.06.2013 19:10> <@Betelgeuse> If you need something system wide
13 with opposition then ask council on a case by case basis
14
15 So, what we need system-wide with clearly stated opposition on -dev is
16 permission to add unit files to individual packages when the package
17 maintainer doesn't want this done.
18
19 I'd ask that the council consider explicitly permitting this. If not
20 you're just going to get an agenda item for specific exceptions for
21 the 10 packages that the maintainer blocked adding units to that
22 particular month. Either that or you'll see 10 new packages with
23 co-maintainers where the two maintainers are in complete disagreement,
24 or the one who actually cares about the package and not the unit file
25 quits and the package stagnates as a result. Nobody needs council
26 permission under the current policies to become a co-maintainer. I
27 really see this as a case where lack of direction from above is just
28 going to lead to a lot of fighting at the ground level.
29
30 If the council isn't willing to make policy regarding adding units to
31 packages, just where do they expect them to go?
32
33 Rich