From: Nick Vinson <nvinson234@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 03:25:53
1 On 10/11/2016 12:10 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 3:03 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
3 > <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> As lead of Comrel you should specifically addressing the topic of any appeal.
6 >> You should be able to clarify my status and what I would be appealing to
7 >> council.
8 >
9 > The onus of any appeal is on you. If he felt that there was anything
10 > to appeal he wouldn't have issued it in the first place. An appeal is
11 > the result of a disagreement over a decision. If you ask a judge what
12 > part of his decision was wrong and should be appealed, he'll tell you
13 > that there was nothing wrong with his decision. That doesn't mean
14 > that you can't appeal, it simply reflects the fact that any judge is
15 > going to do their job however they feel is best. If they knew in
16 > advance there was a mistake in their ruling they wouldn't have made it
17 > in the first place.
18
19 This isn't a fair comparison. When a judge makes a decision it and the
20 events surrounding it are logged in the court transcript which is
21 typically public. At most, the judge makes a decision and writes an
22 'opinion' that says what that decision was and how he reached it.
23
24 My understanding is some one wishing to appeal a Comrel decision does so
25 almost completely blind. It's not possible to know exactly what
26 complaint(s) were filed against you, how Comrel came to its decision,
27 and assuming the decision is flawed, what the flawed parts are. To me
28 it sounds like Comrel is very much a "black box". Complaints go in, and
29 if the device warrants it, a punitive decision comes out.
30
31 If that account is incorrect, I'd appreciate anyone pointing out what I
32 got wrong, but as I'm writing this, Comrel's handling of things is
33 world's apart from how a typical court does it.
34
35 That said, I'm not suggesting Comrel start writing "opinions" to justify
36 their actions, but I am pointing out that William's frustration with
37 being told he can appeal, but without any actionable information is a
38 common thread I've heard from a few people who have had direct dealings
39 with Comrel.
40
41 Thanks,
42 Nicholas Vinson
45 > If you disagree with something Comrel did, then appeal whatever it is
46 > that you disagree with. If you're fine with it, then don't. Either
47 > way, if you don't appeal (either to Comrel as a whole or Council)
48 > nothing is likely to change regarding your specific case.