From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] GLEP 76: Copyright Policy [v3]
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2018 14:25:22
1 The Gentoo Certificate of origin says,
2
3 > By making a contribution to this project, I certify that:
4 >
5 > 1 The contribution was created in whole or in part by me...
6 >
7 > 2 The contribution is based upon previous work that, to the best of
8 > my knowledge, is covered...
9 >
10 > 3 The contribution is a license text (or a file of similar nature)...
11 >
12 > 4 The contribution was provided directly to me by some other person
13 > who certified (1), (2), (3), or (4), and I have not modified it.
14
15 Do we really want to allow (4)s all the way down?
16
17 That issue aside, I have some doubts about the usefulness of asserting
18 (4), which to me sounds like the opposite of what is intended: "someone
19 gave it to me and he said it was fine" is a weird defense. Especially if
20 the name of the person doesn't appear in the sign-off.
21
22 I realize we might not be able to do much better in the case of e.g.
23 patches from outside contributors, but shouldn't we at least record the
24 person's name in that case? If there's ever a dispute, we might need to
25 track the guy down.
26
27 I also realize that (4) was taken directly from the DCO which presumably
28 has had actual lawyers look at it, so take this with a grain of salt.