From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] GLEP 76: Copyright Policy [v3]
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2018 17:09:44
1 Dnia September 8, 2018 2:25:03 PM UTC, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> napisał(a):
2 >The Gentoo Certificate of origin says,
3 >
4 >> By making a contribution to this project, I certify that:
5 >>
6 >> 1 The contribution was created in whole or in part by me...
7 >>
8 >> 2 The contribution is based upon previous work that, to the best
9 >of
10 >> my knowledge, is covered...
11 >>
12 >> 3 The contribution is a license text (or a file of similar
13 >nature)...
14 >>
15 >> 4 The contribution was provided directly to me by some other
16 >person
17 >> who certified (1), (2), (3), or (4), and I have not modified it.
18 >
19 >Do we really want to allow (4)s all the way down?
20 >
21 >That issue aside, I have some doubts about the usefulness of asserting
22 >(4), which to me sounds like the opposite of what is intended: "someone
23 >gave it to me and he said it was fine" is a weird defense. Especially
24 >if
25 >the name of the person doesn't appear in the sign-off.
26 >
27 >I realize we might not be able to do much better in the case of e.g.
28 >patches from outside contributors, but shouldn't we at least record the
29 >person's name in that case? If there's ever a dispute, we might need to
30 >track the guy down.
31 >
32 >I also realize that (4) was taken directly from the DCO which
33 >presumably
34 >has had actual lawyers look at it, so take this with a grain of salt.
35
36 We require everyone certifying that to leave a signoff, so you'd have full backtrace.
39 Best regards,
40 Michał Górny