From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Gentoo Council nominees: Power balance
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 14:41:27
1 On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 01:00:33PM +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 > Gentoo power balance was carefully crafted over the years. However
3 > during last year that balance was disrupted:
4 >
5 > 1. The same person can now be in the Gentoo Council and the Trustees
6 > board.
7
8 I personally wouldn't vote for that, but you are right, they can.
9
10 > 2. QA can now bypass Comrel on bans.
11
12 I was on the council when this first came up. I had several discussions
13 with the comrel lead at the time and comrel did not want to be involved
14 in the process of qa temporarily suspending commit privileges.
15
16 > What is your opinion on this?
17 > Should this balance be left as is?
18 > If it should be tuned, then how?
19 >
20 > I'm worried about that some people or teams may gain too much power
21 > and misuse it.
22
23 I'm not as concerned about the trustees/council as I am about other
24 teams.
25 For example, it is possible right now for someone to serve on qa,
26 comrel and the council at the same time.
27
28 I have voiced my concerns about this in the past, but there are a
29 number of people in the distro who don't see this as a problem, so
30 nothing happened.
31
32 I do plan to bring up a glep 39 change again for this issue and we'll
33 see what happens.
34
35 William