From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] call for agenda items -- council meeting 2019-04-14
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2019 22:35:35
1 On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 2:44 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, 2019-04-03 at 17:43 +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
4 > > Why? We have no way to verify that provided names are valid or that
5 > > provided ID's are valid. At least in my jurisdiction such
6 > > information collected can't be used for legal action or protection
7 > > without following established government-assisted verification
8 > > procedure. In other jurisdictions similar problems may and will
9 > > arise.
10 >
11 > 'Perfect is the enemy of good'. Claiming that you can't be 100% sure
12 > that someone's giving his real name doesn't imply that everyone is using
13 > fake names. Or that it makes no sense to use them.
14 >
15 > > Additional problem is personal data collection, it is
16 > > restricted or heavily regulated in many countries. One can't just
17 > > demand to show an ID via electronic means without following
18 > > complicated data protection procedures which are likely to be
19 > > incompatible between jurisdictions.
20 >
21 > Do you have any proof of that, or are you just basing your comments
22 > on the common concept of misunderstanding GDPR and extending it to match
23 > your private interest?
24 >
25 > > So the real name requirement gives us no real protection from
26 > > possible cases, but creates real and serious problems by kicking
27 > > active developers and contributors from further contributions.
28 > > NP-Hardass is not the only one.
29 >
30 > Do you have any proof of that? As far as I'm concerned, we're pretty
31 > clear that NP-Hardass can't contribute to Gentoo, and that his previous
32 > contributions shouldn't have been accepted in the first place (and why
33 > Trustees agreed to them is another problem). Are you going to take
34 > legal and financial responsibility if his employer claims copyright to
35 > his contributions? And if you say yes, are you going to really take it
36 > or go with the forementioned attitude that we can't legally force you
37 > to?
40 Under the current policy we do not accept contributions from contributors
41 whose names we believe are not real identities. The current policy says
42 nothing about previous contributions; almost everyone who contributed to
43 Gentoo over the past 20 years did so without signing anything, without
44 identity verification, and with no DCO. Those commits were accepted and
45 continue to be accepted until we decide otherwise. I don't like the way you
46 construe the previous work of hundreds of people who contributed to the
47 project; I find the idea that we should never have accepted these
48 contributions to be pretty offensive.
49
50 You are free to blame the organization for having bad policies (and you do
51 and I'm the board President and I will 1000% take the blame) but don't for
52 a minute blame people who are just trying to contribute and following the
53 policies that the project had at the time. As you wrote above "perfect is
54 the enemy of the good" and if we rejected the previous 20 years of work
55 we'd have basically nothing, so we accept that risk as a cost of continuing
56 to exist as a Foundation. No business operates with zero risk.
60 > > I invited some gifted people with
61 > > high quality out-of-tree work to become contributors or developers,
62 > > but due to hostile attitude towards anonymous contributors they
63 > > can't join. And people want to stay anonymous for good reasons,
64 > > because they are engaged with privacy oriented development.
67 > This is a very vague statement that sounds like serious overstatement
68 > with no proof, aimed purely to force emotional reaction to support your
69 > proposal. If you really want to propose something meaningful, I'd
70 > really appreciate if you used real evidence to support it rather than
71 > vague claims.
74 > > We are loosing real people, real contributions and real community.
75 > > What for? For solving imaginary problems with inappropriate tools.
78 > Thank you for telling us that copyright is an imaginary problem.
81 Your words are like knives, and this leads to a perception of antagonism.
82
83 1) The policies of the project currently prioritize a knowledge of where
84 commits come from in order to eventually reduce liability risk for the
85 project.
86 2) I firmly do not believe the project has anything against anonymous /
87 pseudonymous contributors (nor should it; if you think it does I'm happy to
88 amend bylaws, GLEPs, and any other charter documents to state that we have
89 nothing against that type of contribution.)
90 3) The current policy makes it difficult to contribute in this way; because
91 we have this trade-off we have made where we want to know where commits
92 come from for legal reasons.)
93
94 Its OK to say "Hi X, we cannot accept your anonymous / pseudonymous
95 contribution because of this policy, and we made this policy to solve a
96 problem of copyright liability for the organization."
97 I don't think its OK to say "Hi X, its completely unreasonable to want to
98 contribute to Gentoo in an Anonymous or Pseudonymous manner; please file
99 your identity papers to me immediately!"
100
101 My reading is your comments are closer to the latter than the former; I'm
102 just not sure why that is.
103
104 I think its perfectly sane to ask "how can we build an organization where
105 we can accept pseudonymous contributions and contain our liability for code
106 from unverified contributors?" and have people interested in that write up
107 and vet proposals. I get that its a complex and difficult problem area;
108 maybe none of the proposals will work! but that doesn't meant we shouldn't
109 try to do it.
113 > --
114 > Best regards,
115 > Michał Górny