From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation - 1.0 reply
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 23:34:15
1 On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 4:37:05 PM EST Matthew Thode wrote:
2 > I'm separating out this email to contain just the responses to various
3 > questions and concerns. I'll send another separate thread with the
4 > updated text.
5 >
6 > 1. External control of Gentoo.
7 >
8 > I don't think there's much stopping us from investigating this as a
9 > possible option in the future but I think that this is mostly orthogonal
10 > to this proposal. Whatever the new 'board' would do would would just be
11 > reduced if we do choose external control.
12
13 Best to be left to after merge or what ever. This is more a matter for the
14 board, and vote of Foundation members. Which hopefully would encourage more
15 participation in Foundation matters.
16
17 Keep in mind the SPI is run by members, and they highly encourage members of
18 any projects they represent to be involved in the SPI. If they are not taking
19 part in foundation, not sure they would in SPI. Why I am not sure this is
20 really a viable option.
21
22 > SPI has been mentioned a couple of times and if anyone wants to
23 > contact them to work something out to propose to the foundation I don't
24 > think there's anything stopping you :D
25
26 Nor is there anything stopping anyone from becoming a member of the SPI and
27 participating in that organization today. No matter if Gentoo uses the SPI.
28
29 "Anyone is eligible to apply for membership in Software in the Public
30 Interest, Inc. "
31 http://www.spi-inc.org/membership/
32
33 > 5. We should have a BDFL (more or less)
34 >
35 > I don't agree with this personally and it is not the goal of this
36 > proposal to move to that model.
37
38 This is surely something that could be discussed later and not part of this
39 merger. One step at a time. I would think any such role would play into the
40 Council and Trustees, as a third entity for say checks and balances.
41
42 Could break any potential issues or stalemate between Council and Trustees if
43 ever came to such. Not to likely but could also serve as leadership, that the
44 Trustees and Council would have to sign off on direction wise.
45
46 But again best to leave such to a next step. one thing at a time.
47
48 > 7. Exclusion of the community.
49 >
50 > I don't think this is as much a problem as people think. The
51 > definition of 'developer' changed about a year ago to mean what used to
52 > be 'staff or developer'. So anyone who is what used to be called staff
53 > (which I think people applying to the foundation should probably be
54 > considered) would have representation (through their vote).
55
56 There could always be a non-contributing membership for regular community
57 members, and that is not saying they are not contributing, just not a
58 "developer". That would allow them participation in the Foundation, voting for
59 say Trustees, but NOT allow them to vote for say Council or technical aspects.
60
61 Though technical things if the community wanted could be passed from Trustees
62 to Council. As in Trustee merges both Developer and Community bodies, where
63 Council is more focused on Developer and technical aspects. Rather than
64 community voicing things to council, could go to Trustees. If Trustees feel
65 its something of benefit, Trustees present to Council. Which Council can weight
66 community will with that of Developers.
67
68 > 8. Merging the voting pools.
69 >
70 > The process for this will be better defined in the next version of the
71 > proposal.
72
73 For now I would say keep separate, as they may have different pools of voters,
74 per previous comments or other reason. Merging voting pools may make things
75 more complex. If they opt out of Foundation voting, does that opt them out of
76 Council voting? For the opt out reason alone, this may have to always be
77 separate pools.
78
79 > 9. Members of the 'board' having conflicts with their job.
80 >
81 > I'm, not sure about this as it's likely case by case. But I
82 > personally don't see this causing much more issues than what is already
83 > caused by working on an open source project.
84
85 Yes, and by laws have provisions on such. If the community/developers really
86 feel there is a conflict they can present that to other board members. I think
87 the By Laws may need some revision here and more details on conflicts.
88 Something for Trustees to work on and deal with, but easily addressed and
89 prevented in advance.
90
91 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/
92 Foundation:Bylaws#Section_5.13._Director_Conflicts_of_Interest.
96 William L. Thomson Jr.