From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 22:04:00

On 18-07-2010 20:26, Petteri Räty wrote:
> > > My understanding of how our mailing lists are structured is that there's > either an on topic mailing list or then a general one like gentoo-dev or > gentoo-project. So this means that generally a message should only be > sent to a single mailing list. If you want to all developers to see the > post then use gentoo-dev-announce as documented here: > > > I propose we add a statement to our list FAQ to ban cross posting the > reason being that it leads to fragmentation of the thread when some > people reply on one list and some on the other (and they aren't required > to be subscribed to both). If agreed then I'll also send a post to > gentoo-dev-announce describing the outcome. If there's no clear majority > then I'll put this on the council agenda.
I can live with the cross-posting, in particular if it makes easier to find an old thread - if the council meeting threads were sent to both gentoo-council and gentoo-dev, it would certainly be easier to find it on gentoo-council archives than gentoo-dev's. The cross-posting may also be used to promote a discussion in a smaller ml, such as gentoo-council, and to inform the wider audience in a general ml, such as gentoo-dev, of decisions or important arguments in a discussion. In any case, if people prefer to ban cross-posting, I can also live with it. If we go down this route, then council issues, such as the agenda for the meetings, should probably be discussed in the gentoo-dev ml to ensure a wider audience.