From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: Gentoo Council <council@g.o>, games@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for Agenda Items -- Council Meeting 2015-10-11
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2015 13:18:29
1 >>>>> On Thu, 1 Oct 2015, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > So, this has been going around in various circles, and I think it is
4 > better to just air stuff out here. There are lots of arguments for
5 > and against this. I'm interested in what the general sense is,
6 > beyond just those who have been vocal in bringing this up.
7
8 > I'd like the Council to consider:
9 > 1. Decide that games should not be owned by a games group, and that
10 > in the default configuration users should not have to be in the
11 > games group to run games.
12
13 Definitely +1 from me. We should get rid of the games group
14 altogether.
15
16 > 2. Games should be installed in /usr and not /usr/games as with most
17 > applications
18
19 I have no strong opinion on this one. There are arguments for both
20 alternatives.
21
22 > 3. Assuming 1&2 are both approved, deprecate games.eclass.
23 > Otherwise modify it accordingly.
24 > 4. If 1&2 aren't approved, when should the games policy apply?
25 > Does it include games bundled in kde/gnome/etc? Do we intend to
26 > give more or less deference to maintainers when there is a dispute
27 > over whether something is a "game?" I'm not going to ask the
28 > Council to define "game."
29
30 > I don't want to get too much further into detail than that (does
31 > nethack bones go in /var/lib/nethack, or /var/lib/games/nethack, and
32 > what gid is used?). I think that beyond a point it is best left to
33 > the games team or maintainers. Honestly, I'm not even 100% convinced
34 > that we shouldn't leave the whole thing to the games team, but right
35 > now we don't have an active one, and it seems like a lot of people
36 > are passionate about it so I'm more inclined to set a policy now
37 > than let the games team set a policy and then yell at them for
38 > getting it wrong.
39
40 I want to point out that we have a QA policy on shared high-score or
41 game state files:
42 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Quality_Assurance/Policies#Games
43
44 It's short enough to quote it here:
45 "Games that need privileged access to shared high-score or game state
46 files can be installed setgid (mode g+s or 2755). Group "gamestat"
47 with gid 36 (but not the "games" group) should be used for them.
48 The files for state/scores should then be created in /var/games or
49 a subdirectory of it and have appropriate owner and permissions
50 (root:gamestat, mode g+w)."
51
52 Ulrich