From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Social Contract clean-up
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2018 20:06:36
1 On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 1:59 PM, Paweł Hajdan, Jr. <phajdan.jr@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 >
4 > Glad to hear this.
5 >
6 > The discussion so far seems rather abstract. I wonder if we could
7 > attempt collecting some specifics (maybe on a wiki page?), such as the
8 > major pain points, and unaddressed issues. I'd happy to have a wider
9 > audience vote on such items.
12 The vision I have for the User Representatives is that they would help
13 shape this effort. I think it could involve any number of approaches.
14 Ultimately, I think it's going to be building relationships with people,
15 having conversations, having a presence at shows, collecting feedback, and
16 looking for opportunities to positively influence ongoing dev efforts to
17 help to address this feedback.
18
19 For example, I did a speaking engagement at a University in Krakow last
20 year. Their feedback was overwhelmingly -- "We love Gentoo, but we can only
21 afford used laptops here in Poland, as University students. It takes too
22 long to compile everything." Especially with things like webkit-gtk, guile
23 and others that eat up a ton of time. Can we look at ways to address these
24 concerns without compromising the from-source nature of Gentoo? I am
25 planning to try to address this in Funtoo in some way. Now, I have to say
26 that it's been a year since I heard this feedback and I still don't have a
27 set of binary packages for these people. But I haven't forgotten. And I
28 have engaged in a variety of efforts to work my way towards the point where
29 I *can* potentially offer binaries for older systems. This has meant
30 changes to our infrastructure, changes to our release model, changes to our
31 profiles -- there is a lot of ground-work to be laid to address some of
32 these issues.
33
34 So I think that for the User Rep, it is more a job of having a consistent,
35 steady voice in development decisions, so the groundwork is laid for
36 improvements that will eventually benefit users. In many cases, this is a
37 marathon, not a sprint.
38
39 Best,
40