From: Rich Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Questions for Candidates (was: Questioning/Interviewing council nominees)
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 01:20:14
1 On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 8:59 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 > Nothing is an absolute. I'm not saying that anyone who doesn't like
3 > something a maintainer does should be able to force the maintainer to do
4 > what they want.
5
6 Ditto. I only want maintainers to not be able to get in the way of
7 reasonable and well-supported projects and other teams.
8
9 If a maintainer just hates having foo-1.2 in the tree because they put
10 foo-1.3 in the tree yesterday, and foo-1.2 is stable on x86, we
11 already require them to wait until 1.3 can be stabilized (perhaps
12 rapidly if a security issue). Maintainers already must coordinate
13 with other projects.
14
15 In general I'm not in favor of forcing maintainers to do anything
16 beyond fixing glaring QA issues. If a maintainer wants to have a
17 non-upstreamed patch that doesn't cause issues that isn't a big
18 problem IMHO.
19
20 However, if another dev wants to co-maintain and make that
21 non-upstream patch USE-dependent and support the work, the original
22 maintainer must allow them to do so. If the x32 project wants to add
23 a conditional patch to support their arch and they are willing to
24 follow-through on support, the original maintainer must allow this.
25 Non-maintainers must always collaborate with maintainers, but the
26 intent of that isn't so that maintainers can block other projects.
27
28 I've been in the place of having somebody come along and bump an EAPI
29 on me or make other changes that I'd honestly have been more
30 comfortable taking my time with. I understand that the job of a
31 maintainer is easier if they can block outside changes entirely.
32 However, we need to strike a balance.
33
34 And on the other side of things I'm completely against scripted
35 tree-wide changes without a great deal of care (honestly, I'd prefer
36 that all scripted changes against the tree aside maybe from package
37 renames be reviewed on -dev first unless they're confined to within a
38 project's domain - such as the KDE team making a change to only KDE
39 packages). I'm also against fly-by commits where a dev makes changes
40 but isn't willing to stand behind them. I think that is what we need
41 to protect against, not well-organized projects adding config files to
42 daemons.
43
44 Rich