From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Hiding problems, breach of Gentoo Social Contract
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2016 13:27:33
1 On Friday, December 2, 2016 9:51:15 AM EST Michał Górny wrote:
2 >
3 > Sure, that might have been the original intent. But that's not how
4 > comrel has been operating for a long time. It's bad if people haven't
5 > conformed to the contract but it could entirely have been an oversight.
6
7 That is because the Foundation has failed to fulfill their role and duty.
8 Though now that this fact has been made known. They could choose to fulfill
9 their duties and obligation to the community.
10
11 > I see this as a kind of 'dead law'. And now you're trying to abuse it
12 > to force your point of view, while entirely neglecting the other
13 > possibility -- to update it to match the long standing status quo.
14
15 The Gentoo Social Contract is dead and should not be upheld? Any inaction is a
16 fault on behalf of the Foundation and Trustees.
17
18 You realize the Social Contract is Gentoo's mandate and is the highest level
19 document. That people have been focusing on CoC ignoring the Social Contract
20 is their own issues.
21
22 Only Trustees can enforce Social Contract. Thus others focus on CoC and things
23 within their control to enforce. Not realizing the Trustees oversee Gentoo.
24 That is their role. If you read the social contract, it and the foundation
25 pages. They are to oversee development at the highest level.
26
27 "In other words, the Gentoo Foundation will:
28 ....
29 oversee development so it adheres to the social contract"
30 https://www.gentoo.org/inside-gentoo/foundation/
31
32 > That said, I don't mind publicizing comrel bugs -- if you get all
33 > the parties to agree on it. If you file a comrel bug, you do so with
34 > presumption that it will be kept classified. It's not fair to
35 > unclassify it without getting the consent of both the accusing party
36 > and the accused.
37
38 Every bit of my interactions with Comrel are public. Anything that is not they
39 have chosen to hide. I have nothing to hide, and neither should they.
40 If individuals are requesting the information be made known, that should not
41 be denied.
44 William L. Thomson Jr.