From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2013-09-10
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 12:53:16
1 On 28/08/13 14:15, Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > On 27 August 2013 10:54, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3 >> In two weeks from now, the council will meet again. This is the time
4 >> to raise and prepare items that the council should put on the agenda
5 >> to discuss or vote on.
6 >>
7 >> Please respond to this message with agenda items. Do not hesitate to
8 >> repeat your agenda item here with a pointer if you previously
9 >> suggested one (since the last meeting).
10 >>
11 >> The agenda for the next meeting will be sent out on Tuesday 2013-09-03.
12 >>
13 >> Please respond to the gentoo-project list, if possible.
14 >>
15 >> Ulrich
16 >
17 > Hi,
18 >
19 > I'd like to ask the council to vote on the following topics regarding the
20 > 'minor arches' based on the feedback I received on the respective
21 > thread in the gentoo-dev mailing list
22 >
23 > http://marc.info/?l=gentoo-dev&m=137708312817671&w=1
24 >
25 > Drop the following arches to ~arch
26 >
27 > - s390
28 > - sh
29 > - ia64
30 > - alpha
31 > - m68k
32
33 armin76 just posted on planet.gentoo.org how m68k emulator can be used
34 as an m68k arch tool (build host)
35 but this one is the one that is worringly behind others, even other
36 minor arches, the one that gets left behind alone in bug reports and
37 often have 3 different stablereqs for just 1 package :/
38
39 maybe separate voting on m68k, since it seems like the m68k-problem is
40 being dwelled into more generic lesser problem
41 imho :)
42
43 > - sparc
44 > -(maybe ppc and ppc64?)
45 >
46 > The feedback on the original question was mostly positive.
47 > Most people agree that the long stabilization queues for these
48 > architectures create problems
49 > for maintainers wishing to drop old versions.
50 > The council should also take into consideration that the stabilization process
51 > for these arches is mostly a one-man job (Agostino).
52 >
53 > However, some people raised the point that we should provide stable stages
54 > for these architectures and drop everything else to ~arch.
55 >
56 > So if the Council votes 'NO' to the original question, vote on whether
57 > only @system should
58 > be stable for these architectures.
59 >
60 > The Council should also provide a list of the arches that wishes to
61 > "mark" as ~arch (even if they only do stable @system)
62 > so maintainers are aware of the situation.
63 >