From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] utilizing GH functionality that Gentoo infra does not provide
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 04:28:56
1 On 01 Apr 2022 02:28, Sam James wrote:
2 > > On 1 Apr 2022, at 02:27, Sam James <sam@g.o> wrote:
3 > >> On 29 Mar 2022, at 18:56, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
4 > >> [snip]
5 > >
6 > >> this is all orthogonal to the git content itself (objects, branches, tags,
7 > >> etc...). those should remain in the read-only clobber mode that exists now.
8 > >>
9 > >> there is no downside for Gentoo here. it's all functionality that can be
10 > >> had for free, does not introduce any risks, and many devs are already using
11 > >> GH heavily for Gentoo projects -- albeit, they don't do it under the Gentoo
12 > >> umbrella, they fork it into their own personal space and maintain it there.
13 > >
14 > > Yep, and I'm guilty of this as well. I've started making a list of some important
15 > > repos we really need to mirror onto our infra at least (inc, but not limited to,
16 > > pkgcore).
17 >
18 > Sorry, just to finish making the point I'd intended on here: while this might
19 > be true, I don't think it's a reason to depend on it more where there's
20 > a decent argument against it. It's just a reason to actually migrate
21 > away or at least ensure we have contingencies?
22
23 my point is that it's hypocritical to say "Gentoo projects may not use GH"
24 while actively ignoring that Gentoo projects not under the Gentoo umbrella
25 are using GH exclusively, and there is no one pushing back against them. [0]
26
27 further, since there is nothing in the Gentoo social contract or any other
28 policy document saying that Gentoo projects may not use GH, banning it is
29 not justified, and only serves to restrict access to free resources.
30
31 if anything, this position actively goes against the Gentoo philosophy [1]:
32 one based in pragmatism without compromising on the software being free and
33 open [2].
34 -mike
35
36 [0] to be clear: i'm not saying such projects must move to Gentoo infra.
37 i'm fine with them being on GH as long as they're free software and
38 their VCS's are readily available.
39 [1] https://www.gentoo.org/get-started/philosophy/
40 [2] https://www.gentoo.org/get-started/philosophy/social-contract.html