From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2018-04-08
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2018 01:14:32
1 On 03/04/18 02:01, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 8:40 PM, Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o> wrote:
3 >> - overruling council (and comrel?) decisions with a 2:1 majority
4 >>
5 > While I could see this making sense for most Council/QA decisions, I'm
6 > skeptical of how this could work for Comrel, given that nobody would
7 > have anything to go off of, unless we made these matters public.
8 >
9 > I could see it possibly working if we made it clear that there is no
10 > expectation of privacy for anybody bringing a complaint, and that the
11 > entire matter would be made public if the accused wished to appeal it
12 > to a general resolution. Then it would be up to the person who was
13 > subject to discipline to allow a general vote. If they did not allow
14 > this, then the Council (or Comrel, if no appeal) would have the final
15 > say and it could not be appealed. If they did allow this, then the
16 > entire record would be made public and available for a general vote.
17 > The accused would have full access to the record before deciding
18 > whether to make it public, so there would be no surprises.
19 >
20 > I'm not a super-big fan of this, but I see it as the only reasonable
21 > way to let Comrel decisions turn into a general resolution. Otherwise
22 > people basically have to vote blind.
23 >
24 > On the flip side, it would let the accused leave quietly with no
25 > public defamation/etc if they so wished, but in doing so they wouldn't
26 > really have much room to complain about the process being closed,
27 > since they were the one who decided to keep it that way. On the other
28 > hand, if they insisted on a public proceeding then everybody can
29 > decide for themselves what is appropriate.
30 >
31 > The main downside is that we'd need to make it clear to anybody
32 > issuing a complaint that they would not get a say in whether what they
33 > submit was shared with the accused or the public. Otherwise we would
34 > be taking that decision out of the accused's hands, and it basically
35 > defeats the point in having this sort of appeal available. This might
36 > potentially have a chilling effect on anybody who might want to bring
37 > a complaint, since it could become public if the accused so desired.
38 > Either way I think things like this are best made clear up-front so
39 > there are no surprises.
40 >
41 Pardon my unwanted opinion, but that sounds like a seriously verbose
42 'yes' .. or at least firm 'maybe' ...