From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2018-04-08
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2018 01:01:32
1 On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 8:40 PM, Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > - overruling council (and comrel?) decisions with a 2:1 majority
6 While I could see this making sense for most Council/QA decisions, I'm
7 skeptical of how this could work for Comrel, given that nobody would
8 have anything to go off of, unless we made these matters public.
9
10 I could see it possibly working if we made it clear that there is no
11 expectation of privacy for anybody bringing a complaint, and that the
12 entire matter would be made public if the accused wished to appeal it
13 to a general resolution. Then it would be up to the person who was
14 subject to discipline to allow a general vote. If they did not allow
15 this, then the Council (or Comrel, if no appeal) would have the final
16 say and it could not be appealed. If they did allow this, then the
17 entire record would be made public and available for a general vote.
18 The accused would have full access to the record before deciding
19 whether to make it public, so there would be no surprises.
20
21 I'm not a super-big fan of this, but I see it as the only reasonable
22 way to let Comrel decisions turn into a general resolution. Otherwise
23 people basically have to vote blind.
24
25 On the flip side, it would let the accused leave quietly with no
26 public defamation/etc if they so wished, but in doing so they wouldn't
27 really have much room to complain about the process being closed,
28 since they were the one who decided to keep it that way. On the other
29 hand, if they insisted on a public proceeding then everybody can
30 decide for themselves what is appropriate.
31
32 The main downside is that we'd need to make it clear to anybody
33 issuing a complaint that they would not get a say in whether what they
34 submit was shared with the accused or the public. Otherwise we would
35 be taking that decision out of the accused's hands, and it basically
36 defeats the point in having this sort of appeal available. This might
37 potentially have a chilling effect on anybody who might want to bring
38 a complaint, since it could become public if the accused so desired.
39 Either way I think things like this are best made clear up-front so
40 there are no surprises.
43 Rich