From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Status update of Sunrise project?
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 11:54:59
1 On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 6:12 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 04/11/2015 07:38 AM, Ben de Groot wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Since you said you are the only remaining active developer on Sunrise,
5 >> and the proxy-maintainers team has quite a few more, and we now have
6 >> git pull requests for the main repo, I don't think that reason is
7 >> quite so important anymore.
8 >>
9 >> Of course you are free to continue with Sunrise, but in my opinion the
10 >> first port of call for user contributions should be proxy-maintainers.
11 >> It is better to include useful packages in the main repo, don't you
12 >> agree?
15 > Although you didn't ask me I don't agree, because the statement is too
16 > broad.
17 >
18 > Unless gentoo workflow gets fixed (not just by replacing the VCS)...
19 > importing something into the tree often slows down contribution activity
20 > and also version bumps, unless... you _use_ that package yourself.
21 >
22 > Proxy-maintainers do not solve that problem. Neither does sunrise.
23
24 Since most of us want the gentoo repository to be as easy to
25 contribute to as possible, I'd be interested in your discrete answers
26 to:
27
28 1. What does proxy-maintainers lack in comparison to sunrise
29 exclusively. The immediate question is whether sunrise should be
30 migrated to proxy-maintainers, so this specific comparison is
31 important.
32
33 2. What does proxy-maintainers lack in comparison to overlays in
34 general, beyond QA standards? (By QA standards I'm more concerned
35 with our QA goals such as not having security-vulnerable packages in
36 the tree, having consistent depgraphs, having PMS-compliant ebuilds,
37 etc. I'd rather not discuss changes to these, unless there really is
38 something most of us don't think is necessary. How we go about
39 achieving those goals is fair game. ie, one "benefit" of overlays is
40 that you can commit an ebuild that contains only line noise, and I'm
41 not so interested in that. However, maybe another benefit of overlays
42 is that you can go about quality in a different way that makes it
43 easier, ultimately reaching a level of quality comparable to the
44 gentoo repository.)
47 Rich