From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Cc: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-core] Re: Poll: Would you sign a Contributer License Agreement?
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 17:38:15
1 On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 1:10 PM M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > I have no problem with people
4 > talking with authority (IANAL excepting), but if anyone is actively OR
5 > passively refusing to disclose their sources, is it really unreasonable
6 > to ask someone to justify their arguments?
7
8 Well, you should have a problem with people talking with authority if
9 they aren't justifying their arguments, whether they disclose sources
10 or otherwise. Certainly they can cite arguments made elsewhere
11 without repeating them, but titles don't convey rightness.
12
13 Besides, if we required formal certifications to contribute to Gentoo,
14 I bet half our developers would be disqualified. We probably have as
15 many physics majors as CS majors on the rolls from my observations.
16
17 As far as I'm aware nobody on this list is a lawyer, and we have
18 varying levels of professional and informal involvement in
19 legal/business/compliance activities (serving on boards, dealing with
20 contracts, working in regulatory/compliance, etc). So, take
21 everything with a grain of salt.
24 Rich