From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-core] Re: Poll: Would you sign a Contributer License Agreement?
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 17:10:24
1 On 25/06/18 17:54, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Mon, 25 Jun 2018, M J Everitt wrote:
3 >> By contrast, Gentoo is likely to have been cobbled together by a
4 >> consensus of unqualified persons,
5 > I would wish you would argue about the facts, instead of resorting to
6 > an ad-hominem argument. Or, if you believe that you're not qualified
7 > for the former, simply abstain from posting.
8 >
9 >> and is quite unlikely to be defended in court, -should- it come to
10 >> that (see recent legal case of McHardy et al).
11 > See? Apparently all these "large organisations" with their highly
12 > qualified lawyers hadn't understood the consequences of the
13 > termination clause in section 4 of GPL-2, which is there since 1985.
14 >
15 > (And yes, I am aware that they try to band-aid it by imposing
16 > additional restrictions on top of the GPL.)
17 >
18 > Ulrich
19 With a lack of mail signature with one's qualifications attached (very
20 90s I know..) it is hard to get an accurate grip on any individuals
21 particular expertise. I see a hell of a lot of bike-shedding by people
22 who definitely *think* they know about a subject, without a clear
23 indication of where this comes from. I have no problem with people
24 talking with authority (IANAL excepting), but if anyone is actively OR
25 passively refusing to disclose their sources, is it really unreasonable
26 to ask someone to justify their arguments? We're pretty good in doing
27 this in code/GLEPs/etc .. why can't we do it in other just-as technical
28 discussions? (I have absolutely no issue with footnoting either, it's a
29 very neat, compact way to achieve the required result).