From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation - 1.0 reply
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 15:56:13
1 On 2017.01.11 16:58, Michał Górny wrote:
2 [snip]
3
4 > dev [< project] < Council < Trustees
5 >
6 > In which case it is only reasonable that if devs/projects can't handle
7 > an issue by themselves they refer it to the Council. In this case,
8 > the Council is a body elected by developers to handle disputes between
9 > them.
10 >
11 > I don't really see a reason to put Trustees in between that. I'd
12 > rather
13 > keep them as final step overseeing the Council, i.e. things to go
14 > Trustees if there is a problem with Council. However, to avoid
15 > the 'two-headed beast' problem, I'd say that the Trustees should only
16 > intervene if legally required to do so, i.e. if the Council is really
17 > doing their job badly and put Gentoo at risk of legal issues.
18
19 The problem is one of information flow. The Foundation need to
20 intervene before a legal problem is created. Afterwards is too
21 late.
22
23 That can happen in two ways ... the Foundation are voluntarily
24 informed before something a bit iffy happens, so that they can get
25 advice before it goes ahead (or not).
26
27 The Foundation can keep its ears open to what is happening and
28 offer pre-emptive advice.
29
30 Under the present setup, neither of of the above always happens,
31 which makes the trustees nervous.
34 > As for the other issues, I think I'll continue arguing once I see
35 > the updated proposal. Thanks for all the explanations.
36
37 You might just agree :)
40 > --
41 > Best regards,