From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation - 1.0 reply
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 16:58:36
1 On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 10:06:24 -0600
2 Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 01/11/2017 08:46 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > Hi, all.
6 > >
7 > > Since this is getting quite exhaustive, here's my point on the proposal
8 > > as it is hinted now, and a counter-proposal.
9 > >
10 > > TL;DR:
11 > >
12 > > 1. I do not mind encouraging more developers to join the Foundation, or
13 > > even making it opt-out. However, I do oppose discriminating developers
14 > > who decide not to join the Foundation.
17 > How is it discriminating? As you said below, another option is to have
18 > the unified voting pool but vote for two bodies. However, in order to
19 > avoid repeating splitting the vote I think that opting out of voting for
20 > one should opt you out of voting for all.
21
22 That was just a general remark in case voting was tied to Foundation
23 membership.
24
25 > > 3. I don't think merging the Council and Trustees is a good idea.
26 > > The two projects have divergent goals and different qualities expected
27 > > from members.
28 >
29 > I mostly agree, but more in the way that Trustees should oversee the
30 > distro as a whole, but delegate technical matters to the Council, who
31 > are better equipped to deal with them. Non-technical matters would boil
32 > up to the Trustees.
33
34 That sounds like turning things upside down. Usually matters go from
35 down below to top. I see it like this:
36
37 dev [< project] < Council < Trustees
38
39 In which case it is only reasonable that if devs/projects can't handle
40 an issue by themselves they refer it to the Council. In this case,
41 the Council is a body elected by developers to handle disputes between
42 them.
43
44 I don't really see a reason to put Trustees in between that. I'd rather
45 keep them as final step overseeing the Council, i.e. things to go
46 Trustees if there is a problem with Council. However, to avoid
47 the 'two-headed beast' problem, I'd say that the Trustees should only
48 intervene if legally required to do so, i.e. if the Council is really
49 doing their job badly and put Gentoo at risk of legal issues.
50
51 As for the other issues, I think I'll continue arguing once I see
52 the updated proposal. Thanks for all the explanations.
55 Best regards,
56 Michał Górny
57 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>