From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Resignation
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2018 19:31:09
1 On 17-12-16 00:34:03, Daniel Campbell wrote:
2 > Sometimes, mgorny would show up and tell me that my solution sucked or
3 > was "braindead", or that such-and-such solution was "common sense",
4 > with no explanation as to *why* it was "common sense". (this was on
5 > IRC, though [1] outlines where jcallen had to clarify what I hope
6 > mgorny intended to communicate) He didn't ever tell me what the correct
7 > solution was to any given problem that I might've messed up. To this
8 > end, his criticism served to do nothing but demotivate me. At a later
9 > point, when monsieurp and I were dealing with file collisions, he
10 > threatened to have us go through the developer quizzes again. [2] None
11 > of his criticism was helpful or encouraging. The key to good criticism
12 > is to be *constructive*, acknowledging the mistakes *AND* the successes.
13 > Without both, one's communication is morally destructive.
14 >
15 > [1]: https://bugs.gentoo.org/547524
16 > [2]: https://bugs.gentoo.org/603526#c6
17 >
18 > (careful, the comments might be deleted in response to this e-mail to
19 > save face)
20 >
21 > mgorny again showed up; this time accusing me of being a "do-nothing
22 > politician". Thankfully, I kept an activity log of everything I did for
23 > the Foundation, and `git log --committer=zlg@g.o` will show you
24 > everything I did in the tree. Yes, I made mistakes. Some of them rookie
25 > ones. But given that I wasn't being paid for my work, and time spent
26 > on Gentoo meant time I couldn't spend on other things (like personal
27 > projects), I needed to make a value decision: was I willing to continue
28 > donating labor to an organization that didn't notice my work unless
29 > I screwed up? If I was truly as ineffectual as those who claimed it
30 > (rich0), what was the point of continuing? The cricitism I received
31 > during my time as a developer was demotivating and didn't acknowledge
32 > any of the *correct* things I did; how exactly was I going to improve?
33 >
34 > I expect to be laughed or jeered at by mgorny and other senior
35 > developers, but now it's Gentoo's problem, not mine. I've done what I
36 > thought I could do, and can walk away knowing that I tried. Nobody can
37 > reasonably ask for more than that.
40 Above quote edited for brevity.
41
42 zlg has made comments about mgorny that he as been asked to verify. As
43 there has been no response to the request for more information, the
44 Trustees are retracting the comment and wish to apologize to mgorny for
45 the inconvenience.
48 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)
49 President, Gentoo Foundation