From: "Aaron W. Swenson" <titanofold@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] You have been researched (again)
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 01:02:38
1 On 2013-06-19 00:01, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
2 > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
3 > David Garcia, Marcelo Serrano Zanetti and Frank Schweitzer
4 > Chair of Systems Design – www.sg.ethz.ch – ETH Zurich
7 > = Abstract
8 >
9 > We analyze the relation between the emotions and the activity of
10 > contributors in the Open Source Software project Gentoo. Our case study
11 > builds on extensive data sets from the project’s bug tracking platform
12 > bugzilla, to quantify the activity of contributors, and its mail
13 > archives, to quantify the emotions of contributors by means of
14 > sentiment analysis. The Gentoo project is known for a considerable drop
15 > in development performance after the sudden retirement of a central
16 > contributor. We analyze how this event correlates with the negative
17 > emotions, both in bilateral email discussions with the central
18 > contributor, and at the level of the whole community of contributors.
19 > We then extend our study to consider the activity patters on Gentoo
20 > contributors in general. We find that contributors are more likely to
21 > become inactive when they express strong positive or negative emotions
22 > in the bug tracker, or when they deviate from the expected value of
23 > emotions in the mailing list. We use these insights to develop a
24 > Bayesian classifier that detects the risk of contributors leaving the
25 > project. Our analysis opens new perspectives for measuring online
26 > contributor motivation by means of sentiment analysis and for real-time
27 > predictions of contributor turnover in Open Source Software projects.
28 > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
29 >
30 > http://arxiv.org/abs/1306.3612
33 > Merry reading,
34 > jer
37 So, there ya go. Start taking happy pills and be more positive and motivating!
40 Mr. Aaron W. Swenson
41 Gentoo Linux Developer
42 Email : titanofold@g.o
43 GnuPG FP : 2C00 7719 4F85 FB07 A49C 0E31 5713 AA03 D1BB FDA0
44 GnuPG ID : D1BBFDA0