From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] You have been researched (again)
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 22:01:10
1 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2 David Garcia, Marcelo Serrano Zanetti and Frank Schweitzer
3 Chair of Systems Design – www.sg.ethz.ch – ETH Zurich
6 = Abstract
7
8 We analyze the relation between the emotions and the activity of
9 contributors in the Open Source Software project Gentoo. Our case study
10 builds on extensive data sets from the project’s bug tracking platform
11 bugzilla, to quantify the activity of contributors, and its mail
12 archives, to quantify the emotions of contributors by means of
13 sentiment analysis. The Gentoo project is known for a considerable drop
14 in development performance after the sudden retirement of a central
15 contributor. We analyze how this event correlates with the negative
16 emotions, both in bilateral email discussions with the central
17 contributor, and at the level of the whole community of contributors.
18 We then extend our study to consider the activity patters on Gentoo
19 contributors in general. We find that contributors are more likely to
20 become inactive when they express strong positive or negative emotions
21 in the bug tracker, or when they deviate from the expected value of
22 emotions in the mailing list. We use these insights to develop a
23 Bayesian classifier that detects the risk of contributors leaving the
24 project. Our analysis opens new perspectives for measuring online
25 contributor motivation by means of sentiment analysis and for real-time
26 predictions of contributor turnover in Open Source Software projects.
28
29 http://arxiv.org/abs/1306.3612
32 Merry reading,
33 jer