From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o, Gentoo Elections <elections@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo Foundation: A second election
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 12:27:22
1 On Mon, 2021-08-23 at 14:00 +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > > > > > > On Mon, 23 Aug 2021, Michał Górny wrote:
3 >
4 > > On Sun, 2021-08-22 at 20:11 -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
5 > > > Due to the tie in the first election we have chosen to seat
6 > > > robbat2
7 > > > and antarus and hold another election for the 3rd seat. alicef and
8 > > > reopen_nominations tied in the last election. To resolve the tie
9 > > > we
10 > > > will hold a second election (with nomination period.) If alicef is
11 > > > the
12 > > > only person nominated; we are likely to forgo voting in the second
13 > > > election and simply seat her (to conserve time.) The board does
14 > > > not
15 > > > want to have a board of 4 people[0].
16 >
17 > > I'm pretty sure we've originally agreed that reopen_nominations is
18 > > present only during the first election, and that we will hold at
19 > > most
20 > > two elections (and both were supposed to take place before the AGM).
21 >
22 > What would be the rationale for having different rules in the second
23 > election?
24 >
25 > For reference, the procedure for Council elections is this [1]:
26 >
27 >    If the pseudo-candidate '_reopen_nominations' appears in 7th place
28 >    or higher those candidates that rank above '_reopen_nominations'
29 >    will be the current council. A second period of nominations will
30 >    be opened for the remaining council seats. No third period of
31 >    nominations will be opened in the event '_repoen_nominations'
32 >    ranks higher than the candidates necessary to fill the council.
33
34 Honestly, this seems unclear to me. Does that mean that Council will
35 have less members than 7?
36
37 IIRC the original concern raised at the time was that we didn't want to
38 leave seats empty. Since Trustees can fill the vacancies with their own
39 choices, it made no sense to reject candidates in the second election,
40 and we wanted a fixed number of elections to ensure we can fit them into
41 fixed AGM date.
42
43 In other words, I think it was mostly a compromise.
46 Best regards,
47 Michał Górny