From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o, gentoo-nfp@l.g.o, Gentoo Elections <elections@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo Foundation: A second election
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 14:42:35
1 >>>>> On Mon, 23 Aug 2021, Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, 2021-08-23 at 14:00 +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
4 >> What would be the rationale for having different rules in the second
5 >> election?
6 >>
7 >> For reference, the procedure for Council elections is this [1]:
8 >>
9 >>    If the pseudo-candidate '_reopen_nominations' appears in 7th place
10 >>    or higher those candidates that rank above '_reopen_nominations'
11 >>    will be the current council. A second period of nominations will
12 >>    be opened for the remaining council seats. No third period of
13 >>    nominations will be opened in the event '_repoen_nominations'
14 >>    ranks higher than the candidates necessary to fill the council.
15
16 > Honestly, this seems unclear to me. Does that mean that Council will
17 > have less members than 7?
18
19 Yes, this is how I would read it, and I think the full log of the
20 meeting fully clarifies that this was the intention.
21
22 > IIRC the original concern raised at the time was that we didn't want
23 > to leave seats empty. Since Trustees can fill the vacancies with their
24 > own choices, it made no sense to reject candidates in the second
25 > election, and we wanted a fixed number of elections to ensure we can
26 > fit them into fixed AGM date.
27
28 If Trustees can fill the vacancies, then there's no point in omitting
29 _reopen_nominations. They could still pick any candidates from below.
30
31 So, I think the procedure as announced by antarus makes sense.
32
33 Ulrich