From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2016 20:36:44
1 On 07/10/16 16:27, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 11:13 AM, Nick Vinson <nvinson234@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Criminal Case. The defendant may appeal a guilty verdict, but the
4 >> government may not appeal if a defendant is found not guilty. Either
5 >> side in a criminal case may appeal with respect to the sentence that is
6 >> imposed after a guilty verdict.
7 >>
8 >> Source: http://www.uscourts.gov/about-federal-courts/types-cases/appeals
9 >>
10 >> So in short, if you are found not-guilty in a lower court it's over.
11 >> There's nothing more the US government can do.
12 >>
13 > Well, the US government does lots of dumb things... :)
14 >
15 > However, verdicts generally aren't issued by a judge in the US.
16 > They're usually issued by juries, and this is part of why they're not
17 > appealable. We don't really have juries in Gentoo. I'm not convinced
18 > having them would make things better.
19 >
20 Whilst I respect that Gentoo is incorporated and governed chiefly by the
21 laws of New Mexico, given our global appeal, we should be open to
22 adopting policies that reflect our international appeal and user and
23 membership. Not that every single countries' different legal procedures
24 should be debated and considered, but we can pick and choose those
25 elements that reflect the values of the Gentoo developers, trustees and
26 users, to make a representative and useful framework under which to operate.
27
28 MJE