From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 16:20:32
1 On Monday, October 3, 2016 11:47:11 AM EDT Rich Freeman wrote:
2 >
3 > Well, if you have a problem with Comrel you might try following the
4 > official process before starting a mailing list discussion.
5 >
6 > I'm pretty sure one of the quizzes has a question about how to handle
7 > disputes/etc for exactly this reason.
8
9 That has been part of my problem. I disagree with such questions, the answers,
10 so can get hung up on those questions on the quiz. Why one review took 2 hours
11 and did not max it past the 10th question on the 1st of 3 quizzes.
12
13 > Nobody is going to reply to this list and promise you that you're
14 > going to be allowed to be made a dev even if Comrel objects unless
15 > this is overturned in an appeal.
16
17 Understood, but once light has been shed on the matter. Maybe I can be assured
18 the past will not be brought up and it has in the past. Even the team lead of
19 comrel who made some what I would consider unprofessional comments coming from
20 an educator. Made completely inaccurate statements saying the past had no
21 bearing on the events in 2015, despite facts showing otherwise.
22
23 At the same time discussion is taking place. Maybe others will seek to change
24 things and that may make the process better for me to return. You never know
25 till you try, and what I tried before did not work. Appeals I feel is some
26 what futile and in most cases should not be necessary.
27
28 It is also not clear what I would be appealing...
29
30 > The only general advice I can offer to people who have had past
31 > brushes with Comrel is to:
32 > 1. Acknowledge the importance of demonstrating that you can work with
33 > others. (If you can't do that, you probably won't be admitted.)
34 > 2. Work to demonstrate that you can indeed work well with others
35 > today, regardless what may or may not have been a problem in the past.
36
37 Are both of these not assumed when a mentor opens a bug for a contributor to
38 become a developer?
39
40 Is the mentor not confirming the person can work with others, as in them at
41 minimum. Likely the mentor has seen them work with others as well.
42
43 Why does the mentor not factor in at all here?
44
45 Unless comrel is going to research every commit and contribution, at some
46 point they have to let the mentor vouch for the contributor. After all I was
47 requested to do what I had already done. Comrel was just unaware and that is
48 not my nor the mentor's fault.
49
50 > I'm not going to pass judgment on any individual without having all
51 > the facts. However, as a matter of principle I certainly believe that
52 > is important that prospective devs demonstrate that they're able to
53 > work well with others in the community. If somebody believes they've
54 > truly done this and Comrel just isn't getting it, well, they can
55 > appeal. If they're going to appeal on the argument that being able to
56 > work well with others doesn't matter, well, that is their right, but
57 > my sense is that it is unlikely to get them far.
58
59 Where does the mentor come into play? Are they not vouching for the
60 individual?
61
62 > And as I've pointed out, there are a fair number of people who have
63 > made significant contributions as non-developers. Anybody can offer
64 > pull requests of Java (or other project) ebuilds at any time, and a
65 > developer can merge them in.
66
67 So why is stuff sitting in GitHub PRs? Why did stuff sit in bugs for years?
68 Why is stuff still in tree I was seeking to remove in 2008?
69
70 Any comments along the lines of you can contribute to Gentoo Java from the
71 outside. Is making that comments from an uneducated uninformed position. Go
72 look into the details. The reality may shock you. Its VERY bad, for a VERY
73 long period of time. It will take MASSIVE amounts of work. ~5-10 Java devs.
74
75 People just do not understand, Java is massive, and some aspects pretty
76 complex. Go package something like Hadoop from source. Why is Jenkins in tree
77 binary and not from source?
80 William L. Thomson Jr.