From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 18:04:47
1 On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 12:20 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
2 <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Monday, October 3, 2016 11:47:11 AM EDT Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Well, if you have a problem with Comrel you might try following the
6 >> official process before starting a mailing list discussion.
7 >>
8 >> I'm pretty sure one of the quizzes has a question about how to handle
9 >> disputes/etc for exactly this reason.
10 >
11 > That has been part of my problem. I disagree with such questions, the answers,
12 > so can get hung up on those questions on the quiz. Why one review took 2 hours
13 > and did not max it past the 10th question on the 1st of 3 quizzes.
14
15 Your agreement with the question isn't really the concern. Your
16 understanding of the correct answer, and willingness to comply with it
17 is.
18
19 There are Gentoo policies I personally disagree with. I still comply
20 with these policies. If I didn't comply with policy I'd expect to be
21 called out on it. If policies are bad they can be changed, and I have
22 more of a say in that than most, but it isn't like I can just make the
23 policies anything I want them to be.
26 >> The only general advice I can offer to people who have had past
27 >> brushes with Comrel is to:
28 >> 1. Acknowledge the importance of demonstrating that you can work with
29 >> others. (If you can't do that, you probably won't be admitted.)
30 >> 2. Work to demonstrate that you can indeed work well with others
31 >> today, regardless what may or may not have been a problem in the past.
32 >
33 > Are both of these not assumed when a mentor opens a bug for a contributor to
34 > become a developer?
35 >
36 > Is the mentor not confirming the person can work with others, as in them at
37 > minimum. Likely the mentor has seen them work with others as well.
38 >
39 > Why does the mentor not factor in at all here?
40
41 If the mentor didn't think you would work out, you wouldn't even be
42 talking to the recruiters.
43
44 The general way things have worked is that any dev can be a mentor,
45 and then to assure quality we have a smaller pool of recruiters to
46 ensure that consistent standards are applied to new recruits, since
47 the pool of all developers is much larger. I've heard that in the
48 past there were quality concerns when this wasn't done, and of course
49 back in the very early days of Gentoo the pool of developers was much
50 smaller and being essentially a dictatorship issues were dealt with
51 more expediently.
52
53 It wasn't any different when I joined Gentoo. I had two mentors and a
54 recruiter, and while the process with the recruiter was somewhat
55 redundant, it wasn't particularly onerous.
56
57 >> I'm not going to pass judgment on any individual without having all
58 >> the facts. However, as a matter of principle I certainly believe that
59 >> is important that prospective devs demonstrate that they're able to
60 >> work well with others in the community. If somebody believes they've
61 >> truly done this and Comrel just isn't getting it, well, they can
62 >> appeal. If they're going to appeal on the argument that being able to
63 >> work well with others doesn't matter, well, that is their right, but
64 >> my sense is that it is unlikely to get them far.
65 >
66 > Where does the mentor come into play? Are they not vouching for the
67 > individual?
68
69 I'm sure their words carry weight, but they may not be aware of
70 whatever issues Comrel has, and they may have different priorities.
71
72 Ultimately if you want to rejoin Gentoo you're going to have to
73 convince either Comrel or the Council that you're not going to create
74 trouble.
77 >> And as I've pointed out, there are a fair number of people who have
78 >> made significant contributions as non-developers. Anybody can offer
79 >> pull requests of Java (or other project) ebuilds at any time, and a
80 >> developer can merge them in.
81 >
82 > So why is stuff sitting in GitHub PRs? Why did stuff sit in bugs for years?
83 > Why is stuff still in tree I was seeking to remove in 2008?
84
85 You would need to ask the developers you want to commit it for you.
86 It sounds like a few have spoken up in the thread about being
87 interested in Java contributions, so I'm sure they'd be willing to
88 work with you to commit any ebuilds you provide.
91 > Any comments along the lines of you can contribute to Gentoo Java from the
92 > outside. Is making that comments from an uneducated uninformed position. Go
93 > look into the details. The reality may shock you. Its VERY bad, for a VERY
94 > long period of time. It will take MASSIVE amounts of work. ~5-10 Java devs.
97 That doesn't surprise me, and nobody is against having more Java devs.
98 Or more Gentoo recruiters for that matter (there have been calls for
99 more people to volunteer to help with that as well. In the end we're
100 a volunteer-based or and we need to work with what we have, but that
101 doesn't mean we don't need the Code of Conduct, because that just
102 drives away a lot of other people.
105 Rich