From: Alexey Lapitsky <lex.public@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo, GitHub, and the Social Contract
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 17:43:30
1 Hi Michał,
2
3 Just want to say that I agree with every point you made.
4
5 Since the discussion derailed away from the social contract, I'll try
6 to address some other issues.
7
8 1. Volunteer work.
9 Anthony, I'm glad that you brought up volunteer work.
10 I'm pretty sure Gentoo Infra team is extremely busy with all kinds of
11 problems. The volunteers' time is arguably the most valuable resource
12 Gentoo has.
13 In my opinion we should do everything possible in order to save
14 volunteers' time, especially when it comes to baseline work (such as
15 maintaining and upgrading the infra services).
16
17 From this perspective, It would be unreasonable to ask Gentoo Infra
18 team to support an open-source solution because GitHub might change
19 policy.
20 GitHub policy change would only affect Gentoo short term. GitHub usage
21 will bring a lot of value and will save volunteers' time long-term.
22
23 2. Security
24 Andrew, I am concerned about security as you do. I can see that from
25 your point of view that Gentoo can not trust GitHub because it had
26 some serious security issues in the past.
27 I see that it might be misleading and give an impression that it's
28 less secure than Gentoo infra, but here are some things which GitHub
29 has and Gentoo does not:
30
31 * a team dedicated to security issues, paid for their work, doing
32 on-call rotation
33 * 2 factor authentication which could be enforced
34 * bug bounty program
35
36 I'm not sure if we can have all of it if we decide to use a FOSS
37 system for code-review and pull requests.