From: NP Hardass <np.hardass@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo, GitHub, and the Social Contract
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 17:30:28
1 On Feb 15, 2015 8:04 AM, "Andrew Savchenko" <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 23:15:53 +0000 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 15:10:53 -0800
5 > > Daniel Campbell <contact@××××××××.us> wrote:
6 > > > The proprietary network stack can be gotten around. If the git
7 > > > provider is closed and goes down, the data is gone.
8 > >
9 > > Git does not work that way. Git is not like CVS or SVN.
10 >
11 > Once more: github is not just a git repository, it is a platform,
12 > with trackers, review tools and so on. These can't be move
13 > somewhere else arbitrarily.
14 >
15 > Best regards,
16 > Andrew Savchenko
17
18 This point is one a critical one to make, in my opinion. Github, if used,
19 should not, be used for anything but as a means for git mirroring and pull
20 requests, to facilitate code contribution. Every other aspect of Github:
21 wikis, issue tracker, etc, should not replace Gentoo infrastructure.
22 Github functionality should supplement, but not replace Gentoo
23 infrastructure so that we can remain autonomous and independent.