From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] OpenPGP Authority Keys to provide validity of developer/service keys
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2019 21:55:00
1 On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 3:16 PM Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 3:01 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > On Tue, 2019-02-19 at 19:47 +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
6 > > >
7 > > > 3) would be good to detect on the less-active devs, and gives good
8 > > > life-signs to undertakers.
9 > >
10 > > Maybe. However, we're practically talking about one-time check here.
11 > > Once the key is initially signed (and if the developer ignores GLEP 63
12 > > expiration suggestions), there will be no reason to mail him again.
13 >
14 > Until now this has seemed like something that didn't require any
15 > manual developer participation.
18 > Now it is sounding like a proposal that both requires manual
19 > participation, and may also require manual updating, to avoid
20 > undertaking.
23 The authority scheme is *already* in use today. We currently allow any FP
24 in LDAP with an @gentoo.org address to commit. This proposal just
25 standardizes it using existing tooling so that users can consume the trust
26 graph easily. The base proposal doesn't change any of the rules, just the
27 implementation; to make it *easier* for end users to use the authority
28 scheme. This is a net good for Gentoo, IMHO, as we should use and adopt
29 standards of the time. Our current authority scheme doesn't use CAFF and
30 does not verify gpg fingerprints in LDAP.
31
32 CAFF addresses a deficiency in the current system. Currently we don't
33 validate control over fingerprints in LDAP. This means once an attacker
34 gains LDAP access, they only need to add a key fingerprint to an LDAP
35 record in order to get their commits through the GPG verification process.
36
37 With CAFF, the attacker has more work to do because CAFF will make the
38 attacker show ownership of the private portion of the keypair before we
39 grant it authority. This has some benefit as it makes it more likely for
40 the attacker to make a mistake and get caught, or leave a trail for us to
41 find. If they fail CAFF (e.g. use the wrong key) or commit without a CAFF
42 key, we can use those as signals to detect tampering and intrusion.
43
44 I consider CAFF to be important (as something we should do) but not a
45 requirement (something we must do in order) in this implementation of the
46 authority scheme.
50 > It seems like it would make far more sense to look at other direct
51 > measures of activity than how up-to-date their gpg key is in the
52 > keyservers.
55 I'm bad at GPG. However, I believe updating my keys to adapt to the policy
56 took me about 30 minutes. Its required once every 12 months.
57
58 Where should we set the bar here, if not "please contribute at least 30
59 minutes every year to retain your developership."
62 > Also, as far as I'm aware GLEP 63 does not require an encryption key
63 > at all, just a signing key. I'm not sure if such signing-keys will be
64 > signed by Gentoo under this proposal. If not then there is nothing to
65 > upload to the keyserver, and in any case it seems like the main use
66 > case of this (sending encrypted email) would not apply. Of course it
67 > could still be used for verifying email signatures if we sign
68 > signing-only keys.
71 This does seem like a gap.
72
73 -A