From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo conflicts and leadership
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2017 20:07:31
1 On 01/05/2017 01:33 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > Starting a new thread, so others can filter.
3 >
4 >> On Thursday, January 5, 2017 2:15:34 PM EST Rich Freeman wrote:
5 >> Two things:
6 >>
7 >> First, serious conflicts are actually pretty rare. Sure, they're in
8 >> the spotlight right now because we've had one of those
9 >> once-in-a-few-years big incidents.
10 >
11 > Somewhat, with regard to myself, I am tired of watching it happen over the
12 > years and doing nothing. I thought it was just me, but years of observation
13 > has shown its a much larger problem, going back to people like Ciaran and
14 > before. That I chose a year that other stuff was going on, was just by
15 > coincidence.
16 >
17 > I had long mentioned taking things on list on by bug for years. I just held
18 > back and finally the dam broke.
21 I don't think we are talking about your posts here but other incident(s).
22
23 As far as preventing conflicts of interest and being more open goes I
24 have made a proposal to 'slay the two headed beast' and unite Gentoo
25 under one org structure. No one seems to have really commented on it
26 though...
27
28 >> Second, conflicts don't actually result in quagmires. Life moves on.
29 >> We don't have difficulty deciding what to do with problematic people.
30 >> A decision gets made, and sometimes it is appealed, and then a final
31 >> decision gets made.
32 >
33 > Hardly, Gentoo Java has been stagnant in may ways for years. That is
34 > essentially a quagmire. New Java devs are few and far between. But it is not
35 > just Java lacking. I love how people say Gentoo is lacking man power, then
36 > turn around sand say its not in a quagmire. If you lack man power, clearly
37 > things are not getting done. So some things are not moving on.
38 >
39 > Ebuilds with no EAPI, cruft that needs to be updated, removed etc. Lots of
40 > stuff in tree far beyond Java.
43 Gentoo wants more devs, I wouldn't call it a NEED just yet. There will
44 never be a lack of work...
45
46 >> I'm not sure why you think Gentoo uses consensus-based
47 >> decision-making.
48 >
49 > Because it is lead by pleasing the developers. Any action that developers do
50 > not agree with is not taken. That is consensus.
51 >
52 > From what I have observed the council is routinely polling for topics, and
53 > hardly presenting new ones. I do not see leadership. If decisions are not
54 > voted on or made by all developers, seems they are not taking place.
55 >
56 > Nothing has changed on Foundation side, I do not see much happening anywhere.
59 I'd say the Foundation is more active now than it has been in years, and
60 that's a good thing. As far as new topics being presented to council
61 and not by council I think that's also a good thing, to have ideas /
62 proposals come from the bottom up (unless something systemically bad is
63 found and a top down approach is needed). The existing system is fairly
64 democratic and not representative which I think is fine at our size. I
65 don't think Gentoo should be more chaotic, as that just leads to more
66 in-fighting.
67
68 >> Most big things happen simply by announcing them on
69 >> the lists and then change happens. Sometimes it is controversial, so
70 >> then it waits for the next Council meeting, assuming the Council even
71 >> needs to deal with it as opposed to a project team. Then the decision
72 >> is made, and life moves on.
73 >
74 > Where is the leadership coming from the council? The council coming up with
75 > some direction for Gentoo?
78 Direction is asked for and then given. Council is elected by the devs,
79 and represent Gentoo as a whole.
80
81 > Is there any direction?
82 >
83 > The council was supposed to lead the project technically. I do not see such
84 > happening. Here is an example, just happens to relate to Java.
85 > http://www.funtoo.org/Java_Configuration_Design_Update
86 >
87 > Where are the council produced GLEPs?
90 This area is probably as needed by council, whether or not this should
91 be the case is a good question that should be raised on it's own.
92
93 >> Now, what we don't do is have the Council just come out with policies
94 >> out of nowhere that nobody else agrees with. That isn't being
95 >> decisive, that is just being stupid when you're a volunteer-based
96 >> organization. Sure, many of our decisions are compromises, but they
97 >> tend to be compromises that make sense.
98 >
99 > No that is leadership. Leaders come up with ideas to benefit those they lead.
100 > They should not solely rely on what others feel should be done, etc. There are
101 > many times leaders must take things in directions people disagree with at
102 > first, but sometimes tend to be the right thing in the long run.
103 >
104 > For example, things like SLFC was discussed regarding Gentoo long ago. If
105 > Gentoo ever did that, there would be a percentage that disagree. Those same
106 > people may or may not want to be involved in the foundation. But really such
107 > decisions should not be left to them but say the Trustees. They vote for and
108 > elect the Trustees. Thus any direction and decision they agree on, should not
109 > be challenged per se. If you do not like it, you elect different ones next
110 > time.
111 >
112 > I believe you, Rich have stated exactly that about your opinions and such. If
113 > people do not like it, vote for someone else for council right? But that does
114 > not mean you should be micro managed as a council member. To an extent your
115 > opinion does outweigh others. You were democratically elected by a majority to
116 > represent them. Not for them to approve everything you do.
119 Council as it exists now is representative with it's agenda mostly set
120 democratically, aka direct.
121
122 What you are seeking is that the Council takes more action without
123 direct community involvement?
124
125 If that is the case that's something I don't think is a good idea,
126 though if actions taken solely by council then had to be voted on GLEP
127 style I think that'd be fine (ratification of changes). The types of
128 changes I'm thinking that would be taken by Council and not by a
129 sub-group are probably on the GLEP level anyway.
133 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)