From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting: Tuesday 13 November 2012, 19:00 UTC
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 09:02:06
1 On 10-11-2012 13:37:48 -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > > Last but not least, I see no reason (given we have to keep the code
3 > > anyway) to make sysadmins, that feel unsure about this on their running
4 > > production systems, go into this route. You don't know what custom code
5 > > they have installed/running. They'll be on their own (no
6 > > udev/GNOME/whatever support), but most likely they won't care about that
7 > > at all.
8 >
9 > No, we don't know what custom code people are running, but custom
10 > someone is running is not an excuse to block change. We just
11 > have to make change happen in an orderly fashion and make sure people
12 > are aware of the change so they can find ways on their end to adapt.
13 > Isn't that reasonable?
14
15 I look at it from the other side, why do we have to make upgrading
16 impossible for people that can not, or will not perform that change?
17 In the end, most packages are completely unrelated to the change we are
18 going to demand from our users here.
22 Fabian Groffen
23 Gentoo on a different level