From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Formally have Council oversee the Foundation 2.0
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 16:56:46
1 On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 11:31 AM, William L. Thomson Jr.
2 <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Monday, January 16, 2017 10:06:09 AM EST Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>
5 >> > The SPI provides legal assistance, it does not take over all legal matters
6 >> > and also uses the SFLC. Gentoo may still need its own legal
7 >> > representation. Their legal assistance is also at their discretion,
8 >> > unlike other services.
9 >> If we moved to SPI we would dissolve the Foundation. There would be
10 >> no "Gentoo" to seek legal representation.
11 >
12 > Just because you go to the SPI does not mean Gentoo does not exist. If you get
13 > rid of the Foundation that is another matter. Some legal entity still has to
14 > own that stuff.
15
16 That would be the SPI. For an example, see:
17 https://www.debian.org/trademark
18
19 The whole idea of using an umbrella org is to let them own all the
20 property, and manage it. There would be no point to keeping the
21 Gentoo Foundation around if we went along this route, since it
22 provides no additional benefit, and it would require all the overhead
23 that it requires today.
26 > The SPI does not simply handle any law suits! They are NOT a legal body. They
27 > are financial, accountants, tax attorneys not legal ones. They use the SFLC for
28 > legal purposes.
31 I don't have a problem with them using SFLC for legal purposes.
32
33 And nobody really has a choice about whether they'll handle lawsuits.
34 If you own property, then you better have a plan for handling
35 lawsuits. I suspect that SPI has thought this through a bit more than
36 we have historically.
37
38 In any case, the point is that if Gentoo moves under SPI then there
39 would be no "Gentoo" to sue. "Gentoo" would be a trademark of SPI.
40 Any copyrights on our works that are held centrally would belong to
41 SPI. Our money would be stored in SPI bank accounts. So, if you want
42 our stuff, you have to sue SPI.
43
44 The whole point of SPI is to free up numerous FOSS projects to be able
45 to do things like spend money and have trademarks without all the
46 overhead of running their own foundations to do these sorts of things.
47
48 And of course none of us precludes us from working with other umbrella
49 orgs in other jurisdictions if there is some benefit to doing so. I
50 don't suggest doing it simply for the sake of doing it, but it is of
51 course an option.
54 Rich