From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Formally have Council oversee the Foundation 2.0
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 16:31:58
1 On Monday, January 16, 2017 10:06:09 AM EST Rich Freeman wrote:
2 >
3 > > The SPI provides legal assistance, it does not take over all legal matters
4 > > and also uses the SFLC. Gentoo may still need its own legal
5 > > representation. Their legal assistance is also at their discretion,
6 > > unlike other services.
7 > If we moved to SPI we would dissolve the Foundation. There would be
8 > no "Gentoo" to seek legal representation.
9
10 Just because you go to the SPI does not mean Gentoo does not exist. If you get
11 rid of the Foundation that is another matter. Some legal entity still has to
12 own that stuff.
13
14 > And since they're the ones who have to worry about getting sued, it
15 > really shouldn't be a concern that legal assistance is at their
16 > discretion. The onus would actually be on them to ensure that we're
17 > not doing things that will get them sued, not the other way around.
18 > Obviously we would be good tennents, and Gentoo generally tries to
19 > follow the law anyway. Most of the areas we struggle are areas that
20 > would go away under SPI.
21
22 You have a misunderstanding of the SPI and you need to contact them to get
23 more information. This is NOT how they work at all. They DO NOT provide legal
24 protection.
25
26 The SPI does not simply handle any law suits! They are NOT a legal body. They
27 are financial, accountants, tax attorneys not legal ones. They use the SFLC for
28 legal purposes.
29
30 People seriously need to get more information. I spent considerable time on
31 all this as a Trustee, contacting the SPI and SFLC. You all are just revising
32 things I have already and not listening.
33
34 Do not take my word, go talk to the SPI. They have a IRC channel on oftc.
37 William L. Thomson Jr.