From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Formally have Council oversee the Foundation 2.0
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 18:52:34
1 On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 1:43 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> I don't claim that SPI does anything other than manage money or assets.
6 > Based on your posts, you are.
7
8 Perhaps my posts were not correctly worded then. I do not intend to
9 claim that SPI does anything other than hold money and assets, and
10 utilize them as we direct.
11
12 > SPI may handle the assets, the financial
13 > paperwork and such but that does not mean that if a Gentoo dev, officers
14 > or anyone else on the behalf of or within Gentoo violates the law that
15 > Gentoo can't be sued. It would only mean that they would drop down one
16 > level and sue that.
17
18 There wouldn't be any Gentoo officers, since Gentoo would not be a
19 legal entity.
20
21 Now, Gentoo developers can certainly be sued, and so can you, and so
22 can everybody else on planet earth.
23
24 So, don't do anything illegal. :)
25
26 The risks are pretty low though if all you're doing is donating code.
27 What possible cause of action could somebody have against you for
28 writing code?
29
30 >> How would somebody sue "Gentoo" when Gentoo is just a trademark of
31 >> SPI? There would be no legal entity called Gentoo to sue. That's the
32 >> whole point. If somebody wants to sue SPI then that becomes SPI's
33 >> problem, though obviously as a project we would cooperate with them to
34 >> minimize this risk.
37 > So, you are saying that Gentoo would no longer have any officers,
38 > trustees, board members, devs or anything else of that nature? As long
39 > as Gentoo has any of that, it can be sued. I'm not a lawyer either but
40 > browsing around on the SPI website, I see nothing that supports your
41 > claim that Gentoo can't be sued.
42
43 Gentoo would have developers, and that is it. However, legally a
44 Gentoo developer doesn't have any meaning. We're just individuals who
45 donate our time to the project. Sure, I can be sued as a Gentoo
46 developer. However, that isn't "Gentoo" being sued, that is "Rich
47 Freeman" being sued. Maybe Gentoo might help me out with my legal
48 bills, and maybe not, but Gentoo does not in general indemnify its
49 developers. Since I'm an officer of the Foundation I would be
50 protected in that regard, for whatever such protection ends up being
51 worth. Honestly, if somebody is concerned about getting sued they're
52 probably best off getting a personal insurance policy from a company
53 that issues such things and is in a position to make good on their
54 promises.
55
56 Nothing can be done to prevent anybody from suing anybody for anything
57 in the US. You can't legally prevent lawsuits in the US. All you can
58 do is make sure you're in a position to win them.
61 Rich