From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Comrel Improvements: Expectations of Privacy
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 18:18:38
1 On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 11:15 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 2:05 PM, Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
3 > wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Considering we have only 5 recruiters, 3 of which were cited as
6 >> also being
7 >> comrel members...I have a hunch we have a manpower issue, and we
8 >> should get
9 >> more recruiters. As a developer-in-the-making myself I've felt the
10 >> frustration this has caused. I personally do not think 5
11 >> recruiters is
12 >> enough, especially if 3 of them have a conflict of duty where their
13 >> time is
14 >> divided with comrel tasks instead of recruiting. My personal
15 >> opinion is
16 >> that, barring the synergy of having a person skilled in both, that
17 >> members
18 >> of comrel should not also be members of recruiters unless their
19 >> dual posting
20 >> is accounted for in terms of a manpower census.
23 > Keep in mind that this could just as easily result in only having 2
24 > recruiters as it could result in having 5 fully-dedicated recruiters.
25
26 I don't have a problem with recruiters having comrel duties or vice
27 versa. Just with them being counted as full members of both in terms
28 of manpower audits.
29
30 > That's the thing with volunteer organizations. You can only tell
31 > people that they aren't allowed to do something. You can't really
32 > force them to work on what you consider the highest priority.
33 >
34 > There are a LOT of vital roles in Gentoo that are understaffed. And
35 > yet there are a lot of developers who work on completely unrelated
36 > things that perhaps aren't as vital. The problem is we can't just
37 > treat them as fungible resources that can be reassigned.
38
39 Maybe not, but it might be a good idea to have recruiting drives in
40 those areas. Advertise "help wanted here", perhaps even in the
41 recruiting department itself.
42
43 And on that note, is there more to the task than just running a recruit
44 through the quizzes and checking off that they understand gentoo?
45
46 >> If comrel is weeding out good developers though, that IS a problem.
47 >>
48 >> No, I don't know if this is actually the case
51 > I don't think anybody has an argument with this.
52 >
53 > --
54 > Rich