From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [pre-GLEP RFC] New GLEP: Gentoo OpenPGP Authority Keys
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2019 16:02:45
1 On Sun, 2019-02-24 at 09:38 -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > Overall, really good - just have a few comments for consideration
3 > regarding expiration management.
4 >
5 > On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 9:13 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 > >
7 > > +Whenever an old signature expires, a new one is automatically created.
8 >
9 > Unless this is just intended as loose wording, I'd suggest extending
10 > expirations before keys expire, that way if keyservers are
11 > inaccessible or users are offline there isn't as much exposure to a
12 > period of non-validity.
13 >
14 > Perhaps renew signatures a month prior to expiry, assuming the key has
15 > remaining validity beyond the expiration date.
16
17 It's intended to be loose. There's no reason to force specific
18 implementation details here; I just indicate that renewing is necessary.
21 > > +The L2 Authority Keys are used directly to sign developer keys. Since
22 > > +they are used in an automated service, they are exposed to attacks.
23 > > +They are trust-signed by the L1 key and can be revoked and rotated more
24 > > +frequently than the L1 key.
25 >
26 > If we're going to rotate the L2 keys, then likewise I'd consider
27 > managing a period of overlapping validity. That is:
28
29 This only means rotating as a result of revocation. Which is not
30 something we're going to predict up front.
31
32 Well, technically we could have a replacement key prepared up front
33 and kept secure but, again, that doesn't belong in the GLEP.
36 Best regards,
37 Michał Górny