From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Require OpenPGP signatures from existing devs on new developer applications?
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2017 17:55:34
1 On Thursday, January 5, 2017 2:15:36 PM EST Paweł Hajdan, Jr. wrote:
2 > On 04/01/2017 20:12, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > Isn't barrier of entry to Gentoo high enough already? I know many
4 > > people refusing to join because they consider quizzes
5 > > and the recruitment procedure to be too cumbersome and a waste of time.
6 > > I can imagine requiring people to actually travel and make appointments
7 > > with other Gentoo developers will only make things worse.
8 >
9 > +1
10 >
11 > By the way, now with git, why don't we change from quizzes to just
12 > "submitted X high-quality PRs and got support from Z existing committers"?
13
14 +1
15
16 There also needs to be something in place for returning Developers, who are
17 not green, and likely do not need to go through all the same recruitment
18 processes. But Gentoo has never addressed that, and returning developers seem
19 pretty rare.
20
21 Also while I agree, there is still a need for minimal technical quizzes. There
22 is some benefit to the technical sides. At the same time some may only be
23 interested in very limited things, and taking the various quizzes as is now,
24 does not make sense.
25
26 Like take icedtea/openjdk. It does not make sense for the maintainer, RedHat
27 employee to go through normal Gentoo recruitment. They will most likely NEVER
28 touch any other package, unless it directly relates to icedtea/openjdk.
29
30 That icedtea is mostly developed on Gentoo, but the person is not a Gentoo
31 developer due to Gentoo recruitment policies I think is dumb. Gentoo could
32 have the author as a Developer, in addition to a RedHat employee. That would
33 further put Gentoo in its role as helping to further develop FOSS Java. Which
34 again all icedtea/openjdk efforts originate on Gentoo, then go to Fedora,
35 RHEL, Debian, etc...
36
37 It has driven me nuts for years, stupid Gentoo policies prevent such. The
38 result is a developer constantly has to proxy icedtea/openjdk stuff from java-
39 overlay to tree. Rather than it being done in tree from the start....
40
41 I also do not see to many companies, being willing to pay people to spend time
42 taking Gentoo quizzes and going through Gentoo recruitment. Just like the java
43 situation, RedHat is not going to pay them to become a Gentoo Dev. But RedHat
44 is paying for FOSS Java development. That is expecting anyone who may need to
45 work on Gentoo for their employer have to do somethings like recruitment in
46 their off hours. Or just contribute from outside and never become a Developer.
49 William L. Thomson Jr.