From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] pre-GLEP: Gentoo OpenPGP web of trust
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 22:49:26
1 On 1/31/19 4:40 PM, Alec Warner wrote:
2 >
3 > So we have a website that lists all of our developers and their gpg-fps
4 > already. I realize that mgorny will object that this is a 'nonstandard
5 > tool' or somesuch, but I think from my POV its a pretty straightforward
6 > tool. Obviously it requires trusting www.gentoo.org
7 > <http://www.gentoo.org> and our CA (of which we do not run our own, so
8 > it is letsencrypt, IIRC.)
11 The problem with the PKI is that even if LetsEncrypt is trustworthy,
12 everyone else that you trust is not. If you're in whatever theocracy is
13 in vogue for murdering its citizens this week, then you want to be sure
14 that your government can't forge a certificate for www.gentoo.org (which
15 says the "f" word a lot) on-the-fly. Of course, they all can. The list
16 of trusted CAs in modern browsers is basically a "who's who" of the
17 least trustworthy people on Earth.
18
19 With the web of trust, I am at least trusting someone who is trusting
20 someone who is trusting someone who is trusting someone that I've met in
21 person. It's a bit of a moot point so long as we distribute Gentoo
22 itself over a channel that's secured by the PKI, but the two aren't
23 equivalent.