From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: "Trusted contributor model"
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 19:54:48
1 On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 10:53 AM Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 22.7.2022 18.17, Alec Warner wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Who decides which contributor gets access to which package?
6 >
7 > I imagine the person / project who has been proxying them until that
8 > point. Even if the contributor gets a special access to a single
9 > package, you'd still have a @gentoo.org maintainer proxying - if there's
10 > an increasing amount of bug reports and poor work after commit access is
11 > given, this proxy sees it and can request removal of access and start
12 > teaching the contributor through reviews again. I'm aware there could be
13 > some lazy people requesting it immediately, but let's think of the
14 > positives and not paint it black quite yet.
15
16 I suspect this will end up being a process constraint, not a technical one.
17
18 E.g. technically any dev can grant any contributor access to any
19 package (because managing thousands of fine-grained ACLs seems no
20 bueno to me.)
21
22 This is fine (the same is true for anything else a developer does in ::gentoo.)
26 > > Is there a flow to eventually onboard contributors as developers?
27 >
28 > It'd help combined with my 2nd RFC of the original post, yes. But I
29 > believe some contributors would be fine with this arrangement too, where
30 > they get to keep package(s) of their interest in a good condition
31 > without having to tackle the quiz.
32 >
33 > Anyway I only see positives for someone on the road of becoming a
34 > developer with this approach.
37 > > Why are the contributors not developers themselves, just with scoped
38 > > ::gentoo access?
41 > Remind me again, didn't we do this with arch testers historically? And
42 > how did that work out? (This isn't a negative tone, genuinely asking
43 > YOUR perspective)
44
45 So to clarify:
46 - We would like to make these people developers.
47 - Some don't want to be developers for various reasons (the quiz
48 being one, but there are others.)
49 - This is then us creating a way for those interested people to
50 contribute in a streamlined fashion.
53 > I wouldn't mind this at all, but in a way I guess we'll want to identify
54 > people who a) have passed the quiz & interview, b) has full tree access.
55 >
56 > -- juippis